Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with moving iTunes to external hard drive

After step 5 it takes me back to the advanced options screen and I click ok. It changes the stated location but nothing actually moves anywhere. Please help if you can!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 5:03 PM

kelseyrr wrote:

After step 5 it takes me back to the advanced options screen and I click ok. It changes the stated location but nothing actually moves anywhere.

Correct.

Nothing is moved (actually copied) until step 13 as it states there

You should always read thru all steps before doing it.

But ignore that article. You should generally keep the iTunes folder and the iTunes media in the same location unless you really, really know what you are doing.

Do this instead...

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Copy the entire /Music/iTunes folder to teh external where you want.
  3. Hold Option and launch iTunes.
  4. Select Choose library... and select the iTunes folder you copied to the external.

Mkae sure everything works & you can then delete /Music/iTunes/ folder on internal.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2014 5:03 PM in response to kelseyrr

kelseyrr wrote:

After step 5 it takes me back to the advanced options screen and I click ok. It changes the stated location but nothing actually moves anywhere.

Correct.

Nothing is moved (actually copied) until step 13 as it states there

You should always read thru all steps before doing it.

But ignore that article. You should generally keep the iTunes folder and the iTunes media in the same location unless you really, really know what you are doing.

Do this instead...

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Copy the entire /Music/iTunes folder to teh external where you want.
  3. Hold Option and launch iTunes.
  4. Select Choose library... and select the iTunes folder you copied to the external.

Mkae sure everything works & you can then delete /Music/iTunes/ folder on internal.

Apr 8, 2014 7:01 PM in response to Chris CA

I am still having trouble. Whenever I try to copy anything to my external it gives me the sign that it cannot be copied there. It also won't let me create a new folder or really do anything with it. It is completely empty so space is not the issue. Any advice on what could be wrong or what I can do would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Problem with moving iTunes to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.