Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing song info not reflected in ID3

I have been finding that when I make updates to songs tag information in iTunes that those changes, such as adding artwork, fixing title and track info, etc, is not reflected in the song files ID3 tag info. It is as if only the iTunes XML info gets updated however the song file is not edited. Is this a known issue with certain conditions?

Similarly, if i configure iTunes to manage my music library which has the effect of consolidating all of my music in the iTunes music folder, many of the tracks do not get renamed to mage the song tag information.

The reason I found this is that I have FLAC copies of a lot of my music and I use a converter tool to convert the format from FLAC to MP3 or AAC, The FLAC files do not have and tag info and many don't even have track names which forced me to manually enter the track info in iTunes. It was very frustrating to find that after all of that work that the files were not edited when I copied the from to a thumb drive in the Finder.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 5:08 PM

2 replies

Apr 5, 2014 8:11 PM in response to hinder90

the files were not edited when I copied the [?] from to [which one?] a thumb drive in the Finder.

I am starting to lose critical information here. Copied from where to where? What format? How are you viewing these files to know the ID3 is not changing?

Realize if you add tracks to iTunes, iTunes places a copy of the file in its media folders and uses that. The original stays put and is not used further, only the one in the media folder gets updated.

Apr 5, 2014 9:08 PM in response to hinder90

hinder90 wrote:

The reason I found this is that I have FLAC copies of a lot of my music and I use a converter tool to convert the format from FLAC to MP3 or AAC, The FLAC files do not have and tag info and many don't even have track names which forced me to manually enter the track info in iTunes. It was very frustrating to find that after all of that work that the files were not edited when I copied the from to a thumb drive in the Finder.

Drag the songs from the iTunes window to the thumb drive in the Finder.

Editing song info not reflected in ID3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.