Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing Movies on Ext. Hard Drive

What is the best way to store just my iTunes movies on an external hard drive? I like to keep my songs on my mac, but movies take up a lot of memory.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), LaCie 1TB SSD thunderbolt ext drive

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 10:21 PM

Copy the movie files to the external. Delete them from iTunes, then re-add them as new movies. When re-adding them hold down the option key while dragging to iTunes so iTunes uses the original files in their location on the external drive.

Instead of deleting and re-adding you can try something along the lines in this link but I have never done it so you'll have to confirm if it works.

Sept. 2010, Consolidate selected content - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2589812

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2014 10:21 PM in response to Zagnit

Copy the movie files to the external. Delete them from iTunes, then re-add them as new movies. When re-adding them hold down the option key while dragging to iTunes so iTunes uses the original files in their location on the external drive.

Instead of deleting and re-adding you can try something along the lines in this link but I have never done it so you'll have to confirm if it works.

Sept. 2010, Consolidate selected content - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2589812

Apr 18, 2014 12:49 PM in response to Limnos

I think I found something that works even better for my situation; I pulled movies off my itunes onto an SDXC card that has 64GB. I erased the movies off Itunes. Now all I have to do is open up whatever movie I want off the card with QuickTime and play it. It never stays on my Macs hard drive. Seems to work pretty darn good! Thanks for the ideas.

Storing Movies on Ext. Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.