Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shouldn't devices button or device itself appear when iPad is connected?

I connected iPad to Mac and iTunes (version 11) did not come up automatically. I started iTunes and no device or device button was visible anywhere, although other posts said it should be in menu bar. I finally figured out the menu bar was for the store, but I could not see any way to navigate elsewhere. Finally I saw a post that said to use View>Sidebar to get to "old type of display". I did that, and there indeed was the iPad device, which I could then click to get to its menu. My question is: Is this the only way to get from the store menu to a device? That is, do I have to use a display option that is supposedly just there to appeal to users of previous versions? This seems very strange. The only way I could figure out to get from store menu to a device is to use View>Sidebar. That seems very, very counterintuitive and awkward. What am I missing?

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 6:25 PM

You can use the App and iTunes store through the iPad itself. You don't need to have your device connected to go to the iTunes store on your computer. The only reason for connecting your device to your computer would be for backing up or syncing. Another way to enter the store on your computer is to select Quick Links on the right hand side of the iTunes screen. I'm not really sure what your issue with the Sidebar is though.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2014 6:25 PM in response to Brian2x4

You can use the App and iTunes store through the iPad itself. You don't need to have your device connected to go to the iTunes store on your computer. The only reason for connecting your device to your computer would be for backing up or syncing. Another way to enter the store on your computer is to select Quick Links on the right hand side of the iTunes screen. I'm not really sure what your issue with the Sidebar is though.

Shouldn't devices button or device itself appear when iPad is connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.