Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes save some songs in the 'F00' folders and some in the 'Artist' folders

Why does iTunes save some songs in the 'F00' folders and some in the 'Artist' folders?

I have had a problem with iTunes jumping songs and replaced my Library but songs are missing (with an ! next to them).

When I go to find them some are in 'F00' and others in their 'Artist' folders.

Message was edited by: popskeeter

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 6:48 PM

3 replies

Apr 7, 2014 6:19 AM in response to popskeeter

Thanks for the reply turingtest2.

All my iTunes music files are saved in <C:\Users\Peter\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music>.

In this 'Music' folder some songs are in the 'F##' folders (F00 to F13) and some in 'Artist name/Unknown Album' folders.

I have counted the number of files in the 'F##' folders and there are 1540 although there are 1124 in my iPod playlist.

The 'Artist name' folders contain less songs than tha 'F##' folders but searching for a recently downloaded song it does not have a randomized file name which would appear in an 'F##' folder.

Regards, popskeeter

Apr 7, 2014 6:45 AM in response to popskeeter

Have you ever rescued your media from an iPod. The number of F## folders is probably related to the size of the device. My 160Gb iPod ran from F00-F49 but I think my wife's nano might have F00-F13. Is the option under Edit > Preferences > Advanced to Keep iTunes Media folder organized enabled? Turning this option off, and then back on again should force iTunes to reorganize any files that in the wrong place.

Unknown Album and Unknown Artist are used when the corresponding fields are blank.

tt2

Why does iTunes save some songs in the 'F00' folders and some in the 'Artist' folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.