Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i need a recovery disk to install mac 10.8?

I got a new hard drive because my old one was messed up and couldn't re install it self. So i got an upgrade, but i need to install the mac os on it now. Do i need a recovery disk to use it, or can i use a old boot install flash drive?

MacBook

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 5:40 PM

9 replies

Apr 5, 2014 5:42 PM in response to dubedube11

If you have an install disk, you can use that, but it will only install the version on the disk. If you don't and your computer shipped with Mac OS X 10.7 or newer, you can use Apple's Internet Recovery system, which is accessible by pressing the Option, Command, and R keys at startup.

(104206)

Apr 5, 2014 6:07 PM in response to dubedube11

OK, I am getting a little confused now...the computer is at a friends or the flash drive?

If the flash drive with 10.8 installer, and you cannot get it back, then the alternaives are to try an internet recovery or buy Snow Leopard from the Apple on-line store for $20, install that, software update to 10.6.8 (what comes ins 10.6.3) and then download Mountain Lion or Mavericks. I would not buy any ML installer flash drive off the internet since Apple has never offered that and the installer would then be suspect.

A 2009 should accept the retail version of Snow Leopard if it will not accept the internet recovery.

Do i need a recovery disk to install mac 10.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.