Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Following I-Tune directions, I can't transfer PC files to my iPad

I've made sure to download I-Tunes current version (11.xxx) to my desktop PC and I've updated my iPad Mini OS to IOS7 to enable my purchase and download of Apple's "Numbers" app to my iPad. I'm trying to use "File Transfer" to copy a MS Excel spreadsheet from my PC to my iPad's Numbers. Here are the File Transfer directions on I-Tunes:

"Transfer files from your computer to your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad

Connect your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to your computer and select your device.

Click Apps.

Below File Sharing, select an app from the list, and click Add.

In the window that appears, select a file to transfer, and click Open.

The file is transferred to your device, and can be opened in the app you selected in step 3."

1. i connected my iPad to my PC with the USB cable and connector supplied with the iPad and verified its connection as a new device on my PC in Windows Explorer.

2. On the I-Tunes page opened on my PC desktop I clicked to (apparently) install Numbers for recognition by my PC along with the other "apps" already recognized by the PC and Numbers successfully took its place among the other apps on display.

3. I clicked "iPad" on the devices bar across the top of the page.

4. In the upper left hand corner of the page is a five-item list, one of which is "music" and one of which is "Apps.". I clicked on that.

5. Unlike the Apple I-Tune directions above which start out "Below File Sharing...", there is no File Sharing Box or Command Line with apps to select and on which to click.

6. No window appears in which to select files to transfer.

I've tried this three times without success.

I may have to upgrade to, say, an iPad Air, so I can have a free support call directly to Apple.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.2, Windows PC, jogs, Lightroom

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 5:41 PM

6 replies

Apr 5, 2014 6:41 PM in response to Mohun02

When you connected the iPad to the computer and launched iTunes, then clicked on the iPad under the devices tab, you then have to click on Apps at the top of the iTunes window on the right side of the screen. Don't click on Apps under the library heading in the upper left corner. That's the wrong place to access the File Sharing Apps list.

Try that and then see of you can find the files sharing apps. They will be under the main list of apps and you may have to scroll down on the screen to see them.

Apr 6, 2014 12:00 PM in response to Demo

When I open i-Tunes on my PC I get a screen titled "i-Tunes Radio" with a symbol of a red radio. The iPad in the center top of the screen has been selected and the "syching" begins. In the upper right hand corner from top to bottom are

1. A search bar titled "Search Apps",

2. beneath that search bar a radio button titled "i-Tunes Store",

3. Left of that three short bars on top of each other that, when clicked, very briefly (too briefly to read) opens and closes what appears to be a box with some writing (it may be some sort of dialog box, but its brevity makes identification impossible).

That's it.

No "file sharing" options appear anywhere.

Have I somehow got the incorrect screen? If so, how do I find the correct one?

I've re-checked and indeed the iPad Mini is recognized by my PC in Windows Explorer.

I do notice that my MIni is "asleep" and I'll try with the magnetic over open the Mini "awake". You'll hear from me if the problem is resolved. Otherwise, you should assume that the problem persists.

Apr 6, 2014 2:14 PM in response to lizdance40

These are not the screen shots I'm seeing.

1. I've only purchased and downloaded the single Apple Numbers app from the App Store, not what appears to be an MS Office app. I was only interested in uploading a couple of Excel spreadsheets from my PC.

2. I've made a screen shot of the "i-Tunes Radio" page which is the only page that opens when I open the i-Tunes from my desktop. It may be because the i-Tunes is an Apple-designed page (no Apple offense intended--I did, after all, purchase an iPad Mini and have been using it for a couple of years), there seems to be no "home page" to which I can switch on my PC from the Radio screen.User uploaded file

Need I also purchase and download the MS Office app to get this done? How do I get to a proper i-Tunes "file transfer" page on my PC? I have downloaded and am running the current version of i-Tunes.

Apr 6, 2014 5:11 PM in response to Mohun02

• Connect your iPad to your computer with the cable.
  • Launch iTunes, if it does not start on it's own.
  • Click on your iPad name under the devices heading in the left sidebar. You probably do not see the sidebar in iTunes yet so go to the iTunes menu at the top - View>Show Sidebar. Once the sidebar is enabled you should see your iPad name under the devices heading about halfway down on the screen.
  • After you click on the iPad name, you should see the Summary Window on the right.
  • At the top of that window, next to Summary, you should see The headings for Apps, Music, Movies, etc.
  • Click on the Apps heading and then read what I said in my first post

You will have to scroll down in the Window to see the File Sharing apps.

User uploaded file

Apr 7, 2014 11:14 AM in response to Demo

Ah ha. Thanks. Your suggestions worked. I assume your reference to "manure" was not a misstype of "menu" but an understandable Applecentric anti-Windows jest (Nikon and Canon people do it all the time). The anticlimax is that, while I was able to copy the spreadsheet to my iPad, and figure out how to get to the help file (I'm getting used to the IOS7 format), in Numbers I had expected mimimal Excel tools like, specifically, how to sort on fields within the spreadsheet I've copied to Numbers and all I can find is the ability to sort entire spreadsheets out of a group of spreadsheets.

Because my goal, without subscribing to the continous monthly cost of subscribing to the new Office for iPad, is to copy or "file transfer" some MS Access databases after their export to MS Excel (in itself a very user-friendly MS Windows operation) for my reference. As a film instructor with well over a thousand DVDs to which I continue to add, I'd like a useful portability option (hence the iPad Mini) for class discussion and my own study. I have no need to manipulate the spreadsheet cells or add formulae, but I do need to sort on Fields which under PC/Windows circumstances is easily done with the Access/Excel export process.

I have a little iPad MS Access app which is not very user-friendly; perhaps better ones will appear to which I can file transfer MS databases directly using i-Tunes.

Following I-Tune directions, I can't transfer PC files to my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.