Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not import my MP4 Classwork videos

I have tried to import them, I have copied the files in to the Itunes movie folder manually, I have moved the files in to the "automatically add to itunes" folder (which then put them in to a "not added" folder) I am able to play my videos on VLC on my Mac, however I got an iPad Mini with Retina so I could watch my class videos on them while on the go, and at the gym doing cardio and such, among other videos I would like to be able to watch while on the go and at the gym. I can't seem to figure out why iTunes won't take my videos and it's super frustrating because I am not new to computers but not too experienced on Mac yet, and every other problem I have run in to so far has been well documented and easy to fix with a few google searches save this one. Also it makes it difficult to search for a solution as iTunes doesn't give any feedback no errors I can search on, no reason why it isn't adding my files, nothing. It just simply does not add them and they do not show up under any of the movie or music categories.

It is possible that these files are labelled .mp4 and in actuallity are another format I am not sure on Mac if under "get info" it shows the actual information or just the information associated with the file extension (in this case .mp4).

I will attempt to attach a screen shot from my mac as I'm sure it's worth 1000 words of mine.

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH,EARLY 2013), Application Automator Crashes Help

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 7:00 PM

11 replies

Apr 6, 2014 4:41 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Here is the error I get and clicking Tell Me More sends me to this site

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3775?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_USUser uploaded file
I am guessing I am going to need to convert it some how, the other forums I looked through didn't have any apps suggested that actually popped up in the iTunes store, know any good free convertor apps that are current?

Apr 7, 2014 8:54 PM in response to MikeLucasIsCool

Hey guys keep the suggestions coming for any good (permanently free apps for me and others), but I found a paid app with a free trial and used it to very easily convert all the videos not sure how much they want for it once my demo time is up but at the moment that isn't an issue, found it here;

http://www.wondershare.net/ad/video-converter-ultimate/index_both.html?gclid=COf murW3zb0CFS9p7AodiRYA0w

Thanks guys!

- Mike

(PS Sorry I'm new to this I clicked helpful on the first two replies as they were and wanted to give credit, but apparently two is the limit on a single thread? Lame it took a series of helpful comments and suggestions to solve my problem shouldn't each get credit? bleh)

Sep 26, 2014 7:32 AM in response to MikeLucasIsCool

The reason of iTunes won't import MP4, no mater by dragging and dropping or by selecting Add File to Libray... from iTunes menu, is iTunes supports most of MP4 and MOV files, but not All. iTunes use the same technology as QuickTime to play media files, it has the same limitation on media file formats. For a list of QuickTime Supported Media Formats, please reference this article. iPod, iPhone, iPad, as portable devices, have less hardware resources than computer, they have more limitations on playable media files than iTunes. So even you can add MP4 to iTunes, you still cannot sync them to Apple devices sometimes.

In order to solve the issue of "can't add MP4 to iTunes" or "can't transfer MP4 to iPhone, iPod, etc via iTunes", we strongly recommend converting MP4 to iTunes supported formats. To do this, you need a powerful yet easy-to-use MP4 to iTunes Converter.

iTunes will not import my MP4 Classwork videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.