Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new iPhone 5s and new Resound LiNX 7 hearing aids. They won't stay paired, and Bluetooth can't discover them even when I know they are paired. Has anyone experienced this problem?

I have a new iPhone 5s and new Resound LiNX 7 hearing aids. They won't stay paired, and Bluetooth can't discover them even when I know they are paired. Has anyone experienced this problem?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1, Resound LiNX 7 hearing aids

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 8:39 PM

The Resound Linx hearing aids do not pair like typical Bluetooth devices and will not show up in your Bluetooth device list. The aids use a special low energy Bluetooth channel. The iPhone Bluetooth feature does have to be turned on. The resound app will show if they are paired or triple tap the home button which should show the hearing aids are paired.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2014 8:39 PM in response to Moabgirl

The Resound Linx hearing aids do not pair like typical Bluetooth devices and will not show up in your Bluetooth device list. The aids use a special low energy Bluetooth channel. The iPhone Bluetooth feature does have to be turned on. The resound app will show if they are paired or triple tap the home button which should show the hearing aids are paired.

Apr 13, 2014 7:18 AM in response to Moabgirl

A couple of quick ways I have found to force a repairing between the iPhone 5s and the Linx hearings aids is to open the battery jackets on the hearing aids which will force a fresh repairing. Another way that often times works is to turn the iPhone airplane mode on and off. This too will cause a fresh repairing.

These hearing aids are fantastic both in the quality of hearing (especially voices), but the integration with the iPhone really makes wearing hearing aids fun. Being able to easily answer calls, listen to music, audiobooks, navigation directions or your favorite game without disturbing anyone around you.

Apr 19, 2014 7:15 AM in response to Moabgirl

I just got my ReSound LiNX 7 hearing aids a few days ago & have had trouble periodically with getting them connected to the iPhone 5 even when they show as paired. This morning I could not get them to connect. I finally shut down the phone & then rebooted - and then the aids connected. Some time ago someone at Apple told me that the phone should occasionally be shut down and rebooted to get rid of stuff that confuses it. Go figure. It has been frustrating this week with the connection business - but I do like the aids, which are my first pair and so I'm willing (I think) to put up with the newness of this and hope over time everything will improve.

Apr 19, 2014 8:37 AM in response to websurfer76

My audiologist is pretty savvy. The aids were paired successfully and worked, then lost pairing. I couldn't get them to pair again. The first tech at the Apple store got one paired, and the Genius Bar tech was able to pair the other one. I do know now that they aren't shown in the Bluetooth list.

Connectivity is another issue. When I leave the range of the phone connection and return, I turn the Bluetooth off and on, and they connect. In the morning I turn the Bluetooth on and then close the battery compartments, and they connect. I was told that Bluetooth only searches when it is first turned on. The only problem I have is when I answer the phone and haven't reconnected the aids. I have found that turning the Bluetooth off and on is easier than opening and closing the battery compartment.

Thanks for all of your input. It's a learning process, for sure.

Apr 19, 2014 9:18 AM in response to Belle's Mother

I have had my LiNX 7 aids for about 3 weeks. I had an initial problem with pairing, but that seems okay now. This is what I have learned about connectivity. In the morning I turn on Bluetooth on the phone and then close the battery compartments. I had a problem one time when I forgot to turn on the Bluetooth first. When I started all over again, it took longer to connect. (I guess I caused confusion in the devices.:) ) When I leave the range of the Bluetooth (go to the laundry room without the phone, e.g.) and the aids don't reconnect, I turn the Bluetooth off and on and they reconnect.

This is my third pair of ReSound aids, and my fifth pair of aids over 25 years. After the adjustment period, I think you will be happy with these. The sound quality is so good. This is definitely a new learning process but kind of fun.

Apr 19, 2014 9:36 AM in response to Moabgirl

It does take some getting used to but the Resound LiNX aids are worth the effort. I enjoy being able to turn off the microphones while streaming music or on a telephone call. Gets rid of the background mouse and let's me use a lower volume to hear the caller. On airplanes I will take off my normal domes and replace them with ones from a pair if earbuds with the noise isolation type domes. It is so nice to then turn off the microphones and focus on the music or audiobook I want to listen too!!

I think the pairing will become less an issue over time.

Apr 25, 2014 11:50 PM in response to websurfer76

I am not sure why people think pairing will become less of an issue over time. Sadly, products do sometimes come to market before they are really ready for prime time. Spending twenty random minutes a day, for the rest of my life, re-pairing, rebooting, etc. is not exactly what I bargained for in a top of the line HA. Not sure if the problem is low level Bluetooth, iOS7, or even a poorly written app, but long term it could turn into a major consumer failure. I haven't tried the turn off Bluetooth/turn on Bluetooth solution yet, so hopefully that will be the simple fix we are looking for. I can tell you that if you use the accessory remote (not an iphone or ipod), you NEVER have any problem with pairing. It's only when pairing to an Apple device.

These HAs are good, but definately not perfect. I'm not quite ready to give them a free pass just because they're the latest thing. I like being able to turn the mic off, as you do, but there are definate deficiencies in sound quality, latency, and distortion. I was hoping they would rival my Bluetooth 2 earpods, but they don't. Although it's been said that non-hearing impaired people will be intrigued by the streaming capabilities of these HAs, I don't think they'll be tempted at all because of the sound quality issues. Add the time-sucking irritation of pairing to the mix, and...well...

Bottom line: I really hope your turn off Bluetooth/turn on Bluetooth solution works for me. Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I came to the forum looking for.

Apr 29, 2014 2:34 PM in response to Cappucharley

Your assessment is very interesting. Before purchasing, I worried about the "newness" of these HAs. I have also wondered about the sound quality when streaming. Connectivity seems to be less of a problem if I always keep the phone with me. The HA Bluetooth either has a short range or a short connectivity time? Otherwise, I try Bluetooth off/on, OR Bluetooth off/on and battery compartment open/close combination, OR a soft reboot. It is time consuming and frustrating. Hopefully, we will get an update of some sort for this.

May 27, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Moabgirl

I recently received my LiNX 9 hearing aids. I have two iPhones (one personal, one employer-supplied). I have been able to successfully pair my hearing aids with both phones, but I learned that you have to be careful to follow the instructions provided by Resound very carefully. I didn't and was frustrated this morning for about 15 minutes when I tried to connect my LiNX to my work phone. I followed the instructions carefully the next time and it went easily and well. It is also pretty easy to move between phones, although you cannot have the aids connected to more than one phone at a time. However, all it takes is to disconnect the one phone, power the aids off and on again and re-pair. The description takes a lot longer than the action. If you only have one iPhone, it's not going to be a problem any way. I just don't want to use my personal phone for business calls during the week.

I use the aids as my head set on both phones and since I am still on my first set of batteries, I have no opinion on how long the hearing aid batteries will last when they are connected to the iPhone. I can tell you that the iPhone battery takes a bit of a beating, as you would expect with a Bluetooth device always connected. I am fortunate that when it is rare for me to be away from a power source (either at home or in my car) and when I am, I turn Bluetooth off. However, I am going to get a Mophie battery for my phones now that I am going to have Bluetooth on constantly.

I have walked away from both phones (on different occasions) and did not have any trouble with either a disconnect or an issue reconnecting (if it did disconnect and I didn't notice).

The only issue I have is that the app purports to be able to show me battery strength, but the button does nothing.

May 30, 2014 1:30 PM in response to Moabgirl

I found this link (http://bit.ly/1nbzEGn) to a pairing guide at ReSound which may help. When my iPhone5S was initially paired at the audiologist's, I was asked to first turn off all apps running in the background to limit any interference. I wasn't aware of how to do this so she showed me. Double click the home button which places the various apps running in the background into a row - then swipe each app up. Keep doing this until all that's left is the home screen. This is also a handy way to help maximize a battery charge.

Jul 4, 2014 1:21 PM in response to J. Thomas Sykes

I understand that many LiNX users have problems in their LiNX staying connected to their iPhone. We find that a "Cold Reboot" (Sleep+Home buttons) of the iPhone is the quickest way to remake the connection, about 3 minutes!

This appears likely to be a software fault in either LiNX or iPhone or both.We just hope it will be fixed soon, or I want my money back! This is sad as the audio function of LiNX is very good.

Jul 8, 2014 7:18 PM in response to BMSguy

I'm finding the same issues with Starkey's Halo Hearing Aids. I think that all of the companies are rushing to hop on the bandwagon here. They haven't spent enough time on the applications. I agree that the Hearing Aids show promise, but most truly hearing impaired people are more worried about actually hearing the world around them than having bells and whistles that cause trouble with the hearing functions.

On another note, has anyone figured out how to pair your Hearing Devices with the Mac computer. Now that telecoils are no longer in the picture (a mistake in my opinion), how does one listen to anything on the computer? -TIA

Jul 25, 2014 3:29 AM in response to BMSguy

Hi BMSguy, Hi all

I am from Europe and also use the Resound LiNX 9 with apple Iphone 5

I had also some issues with repairing and with my audiologist and the technical guy from GN Hearing we found that the best solution to avoid issues with repairing is to shut down your mobile every evening. It seems that the instability of Iphone bluetooth can be solved in the most of the cases.

In case of you need to repair your Hearing Aids, close all the applications running on your Iphone, then "General", "Accessibility", open and close your Hearing Aids, "Hearing Aids", lets appears on the screen the name of your hearing aids with a "check" sign before and IMPORTANT do nothing with your phone during 30 seconds. After open your application Resound Smart and wait until the application stop to search.

Also important, always have your Iphone with you. If the distance between your Iphone and your Hearing Aids is too important (more than 10 meters) you may have a de-pairing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.