You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Personal Hotspot use wifi if connected?

Just wondering if my iPhone 5s is connected to my home WiFi network and I setup Personal Hotspot on the iPhone, will the iPhone use the WiFi or will it use my Carrier Data for the data transfers?

iPhone 4S, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 8:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2014 9:13 PM

Clarification.

I setup the hotspot on my iphone, which has both cellular and WiFi network access.

My iPhone, I know will use WiFi for it's internet connections.

A device connects to my iPhone, using the hotspot.

I would hope that my iPhone would use the least expensive network, ie, WiFi, when routing the connected devices requests, rather than forcefully using Cellular, of which I have limited amounts with costly penalties for over-runs.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 5, 2014 9:13 PM in response to lyallp

Clarification.

I setup the hotspot on my iphone, which has both cellular and WiFi network access.

A device connects to my iPhone, using the hotspot.

I would hope that my iPhone would use the least expensive network, ie, WiFi, when routing the connected devices requests, rather than forcefully using Cellular, of which I have limited amounts with costly penalties for over-runs.

Apr 5, 2014 9:17 PM in response to lyallp

lyallp wrote:

Clarification.

A device connects to my iPhone, using the hotspot.\

If you have other wifi available, why is your hotspot on and why are you using it?

I would hope that my iPhone would use the least expensive network, ie, WiFi,

It won't.

The hotspot is for connecting devices using wifi or blutooth to the internet using yoru wifi cell data.

Does Personal Hotspot use wifi if connected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.