Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop iPad from transferring apps to Mac?

First off, let me state that I have iCloud backups of the most important app data and I don't care that I don't have backups for the rest. I don't care that those apps might one day be gone from the App Store. I don't care about saving my game data.

What I do care about is that I shouldn't be forced to have a backup of ALL the apps on my iPad/iPhone on my MBP, which didn't come with unlimited storage space.

I think at one point I was asked by iTunes if I wanted to transfer the purchases to my Mac (or if I wanted to backup the apps? I don't remember) and I foolishly clicked yes. Now, even though I have clicked on "Rest Warnings" multiple times, iTunes still insists on copying all the apps to my Mac without asking me if I wanna do it.

I saw some suggestions about creating empty folders and stuff but I don't wanna do that. It just doesn't make sense that Apple doesn't give us an option to NOT backup our apps to our Macs. I thought the point of having an App Store where you can download your purchases anytime you want is so that you don't have to keep everything on your Mac.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Keywords: how to stop iPad from copying apps to Mac, how to stop iPad from backing up apps to computer, how to prevent iPad from syncing apps

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 4:23 AM

1 reply

Apr 9, 2014 12:56 AM in response to steveappleotp

I hope you get a solution soon. I've been having this problem too. I under any circumstances don't want my apps on my computer either, I remember when I bought my first iPad iTunes used to have an option to choose whether or not to sync/transfer apps but now its gone and it drives me crazy everytime I want to transfer music. I remember this option was Under the tab "Apps" in the device and under the Apps list. It was a check box like the ones that the Music and other library syncing currently have. But i havent seen it in a while. Apple really screwed this up.

How to stop iPad from transferring apps to Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.