Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outside Page Numbering and how to insert a margin gutter

Working on a book and therefore formatting it for print. Using odd and even pages; new chapters begin on odd pages (right). So far all is going well and am enjoying not having to use the slow unstable MS Word application. I would like to set the page numbers at the bottom of the page in the footer to show up on the outside of the page alternately from left (Even) to right (odd) - question = how to do this? Next, I need to insert a small margin gutter for the whole document, slightly offseting the odd and even pages - question = how and where may I find such settings? (in Word the gutter is found in the margin setting box)

Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 5:32 AM

11 replies

Apr 6, 2014 6:49 AM in response to fruhulda

In reply to you post: - I think you are asking for Facing Pages but Pages 5.x doesn't have that features. If you had Pages 09 before use it instead as it does have Facing pages and you easaly cna have what you ask for. Take a look in Applications/iwork 09 folder.

I'm not looking for Facing Pages in Thumbnails, although it would be nice to have that as an option again. I need to insurt a small margin gutter in the page setup and then be able to place the page numbers on the bottom outside of the odd/even pages???

Apr 6, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Pulidog

Pages 5 does not have facing pages. Nothing to do with Thumbnails.

Without facing pages you do not have left and right layouts or left and right footers/headers.

That is only part of the problem of having nearly 100 features removed by Apple.

You show an older OSX in your tagline so I am guessing you had a previous version of Pages.

You should find Pages '08/'09 in your Applications/iWork folder, use that.

Peter

Apr 6, 2014 7:36 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thank you Peter,

Unfortunately I don't have Pages 08/09 - so may have to find some other fix for the problem or reformat differently. I have since been able to get the outside page numbers by importing a copy of a document that was fromated as such in MS Word with outside page numbers so will see if I can build on that as a template. Only problem left is in formating a gutter into the page setup. Had no idea that Apple got rid of so many features - pity... Thanks again...

Outside Page Numbering and how to insert a margin gutter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.