Hello Kevin Rockold,
It sounds like your Wi-Fi connection is terminated unexpectedly, interrupting your music being played via Airplay. I recommend these troubleshooting steps from the article about troubleshooting Wi-Fi:
iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections
Start with these steps:
- Restart your iOS device.
- Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected.
- Tap and Forget this Network.
- Try to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network.
Note: You may need to enter your Wi-Fi password again if your network requires one.
- Turn your Wi-Fi router off and on2. If your ISP also provides cable or phone service, check with them before attempting this step to avoid interruption of service.
- Update your device to the latest version of software.
- Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware2. For AirPort Base Stations, install updates using the AirPort Utility.
And if the issue is not resolved, next try these steps:
- Move closer to the Wi-Fi router (access point).
- Check for sources of potential interference.
- Remove any case, stand, or other accessories from your iOS device and see if signal strength improves.
- Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including
- previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
- recently used Bluetooth accessories
- VPN and APN settings
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
All the best,