Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need text based app for iPhone that backs up only to wired iTunes

I don't mind using iCloud or Dropbox for most of my files, but there is one file I won't use them for. My manually created username and passwords document.

This used to be accomplished by using Apple's Notes on the iPhone which would backup automatically when Notes on the Mac was imbedded in Mail. Since I upgraded to OS X 10.9 Notes on the Mac is a stand alone app and, I guess, will only sync with Mail on the iPhone through the iCloud. Therefore I'm looking for some simple, but reliable app that I can use to create and maintain a simple list on both the iPhone and the Mac that does NOT use cloud based services to sync data.

Yes, I may be paranoid, but I will not compromise this particulat data.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 10:38 AM

I don't think you are paranoid (not that it matters too much what I think), but I'm wondering if you are paranoid enough. I wouldn't be comfortable keeping my usernames and passwords in any unencrypted file on either my phone or my computer -- even if they weren't transmitting the data between the two. I don't know of an app that matches your request. Have you considered or looked at any of the password manager apps that encrypt the data?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2014 10:38 AM in response to DHarry

I don't think you are paranoid (not that it matters too much what I think), but I'm wondering if you are paranoid enough. I wouldn't be comfortable keeping my usernames and passwords in any unencrypted file on either my phone or my computer -- even if they weren't transmitting the data between the two. I don't know of an app that matches your request. Have you considered or looked at any of the password manager apps that encrypt the data?

Apr 6, 2014 11:01 AM in response to DHarry

I would say it's time to switch to a password manager app, such as 1Password. It encrypts your data and will sync between Mac and iOS through Dropbox. The app itself requires a password in order to view the content.

I totally understand your hesitance to put your content in the cloud, but this may be the way to go.

You might want to see if there are any other note-taking apps that will allow you to export the data through iTunes - it won't necessarily "sync" to an app on your Mac but you would at least be able to save the file and transfer back & forth via USB.

Alternatively, downgrade your Mac to an earlier version of OS X.

~Lyssa

Need text based app for iPhone that backs up only to wired iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.