Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to replace the .journal file?

Situation as it stands.

1. All was well.

2. Next day, external harddrive housing my complete 3TB iTunes library went empty.

Researched and discovered the cause is http://wd-mavericks-data-loss.com

No solution exists so set to do data recovery.

3. Data Rescue cites older .journal and .journal_info_block files

A thought. Hmm... If I could replace the current .journal and .journal_info_block files with the older .journal and .journal_info_block files, then perhaps can recovery directory and need not do labourious data recovery.

4. Problem

Seem unable to copy & paste or CopyClone .journal and .journal_info_block files into 'damaged' external harddrive because receive this error message,

The operation can’t be completed because an item with the name “.journal” already exists.

Observation: even after relaunching Finder to see my invisible files such as .DS_Store, I am unable to see the still existing .journal and .journal_info_block files that I am unable to replace with the recovered copies.

Question: How can I replace the .journal and .journal_info_block files, given the problem that I am unable to see the still present .journal and .journal_info_block files?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 7:07 AM

There are no replies.

How to replace the .journal file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.