Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external hard drive (Tuxera), already have TM backup drive

Hi

I am considering signing up for a cloud service as my photos and music collection is getting so large. I've a 2010 iMac running OS X 10.9.1 and I keep getting messages about my start up disc being full

Before I sign up for the cloud, which I'm still investigating, I also want to keep a spare back up copy of my photos which are very precious to me, and I recently picked up a 500gb Toshiba HD (Tuxera) in a sale

I'm not tech literate so my question is before setting up the Tuxera NTFS for Mac, is there anything I need to do with my TM Backup which I run off a Lacie external HD?

Many tnx

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 1:01 PM

The only reason why you would need that software is to be able to write to a drive formatted for Windows. If the drive doesn't need to be used with a Windows PC, erase it and format it for OS X in Disk Utility.

5 replies

Using external hard drive (Tuxera), already have TM backup drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.