Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with Wi-Fi and battery life on your iPhone 5s. It sounds like your iPhone frequently disconnects from Wi-Fi, and your battery life is shorter since updating to iOS 7.1. I have a couple of suggestions for what you described.
First, I recommend the following steps to troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing with Wi-Fi:
- Be sure you're in range of your Wi-Fi router (access point).
- Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and turn Wi-Fi off and on. If your W-Fi setting is dimmed, follow these steps.
- Confirm that your Wi-Fi router and cable or DSL modem are connected to power, turned on, and connected to the Internet. If not, refer to your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for assistance.
- Restart your iOS device.
- Tap Settings > Wi-Fi and locate the Wi-Fi network to which you're connected.
- Tap and Forget this Network.
- Try to connect to your desired Wi-Fi network.
Note: You may need to enter your Wi-Fi password again if your network requires one.
- Turn your Wi-Fi router off and on2. If your ISP also provides cable or phone service, check with them before attempting this step to avoid interruption of service.
- Update your device to the latest version of software.
- Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware2. For AirPort Base Stations, install updates using the AirPort Utility.
- Move closer to the Wi-Fi router (access point).
- Check for sources of potential interference.
- Remove any case, stand, or other accessories from your iOS device and see if signal strength improves.
- Reset network settings by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note: This will reset all network settings including
- previously connected Wi-Fi networks and passwords
- recently used Bluetooth accessories
- VPN and APN settings
You can find the full article here:
Use the following information to troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing with your battery:
Battery & power
Is your iPhone battery draining too quickly or not holding a charge? Try restarting it first. You can also adjust several settings to extend the battery life of your iPhone.
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.