Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5.2 creates huges files when exporting into Word format

Hi, since I updatet to Pages 5.2 I am encountering a very strange problem: when I export my file into word (which I have to do regularely), even if I have written just ONE SINGLE LETTER the word file produced is either 1.5 M big (.doc extension) or roughle 500K (.docx extension). Does anyone know what's happening? Of course if I type the same file directly in Word, what I get is a file of 20-30K or less! Is Pages adding something which makes the exported file so big?

I do like Pages, but if the problem persists - since I have to send most of my texts in DOC format - I will have to switch back to MSWord, which doesn't make me happy, being an Apple fan!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), interl Core 2 Duo 2,53 Ghz, 8G RAM

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 10:16 AM

15 replies

Apr 6, 2014 10:28 AM in response to gio6666

You don't have to use Pages, particularly the lobotomised version: Pages 5.2.

Pages seems to be carrying a lot of extra baggage in its new format, which is carrying over to Exported files.

It is what it is.

Use Pages '09 which should still be in your Applications/iWork folder or one of the many alternatives:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=7&mforum=iworktipsnt rick

The best of the bunch probably is LibreOffice [free], but there are several other alternatives.

Peter

Apr 7, 2014 7:41 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Interesting — so this affects some templates and not others. I don't have a template called "Report", but the "Essay" template under Reports exports to a small Word file, as does the "Classic Letter" template under Stationery.

The basic "Blank" and "Note Taking" templates export to large (~500kB) Word files, as does a custom template I have.

Apr 7, 2014 8:02 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks Peter and Atomnet, and all those who tried to help me.

you brought me to the solution!

actually it's really a strange issue concerning the templates. It is true, as atomnet noted (by the way I see his latest post in my email but not here...), that only some templates are concerned. Funnily, also the blank one, which should really be empty.

So I solved the problem this way: instead of using Blank as a basis, I actually used Essay (thank you for the hint, atomnet), I changed a few things, and saved it as a my personal template. And guess what? No more huge files, but the normal ones.

The question is: when will Apple release a new update solving the problem? I was really an inch away from ditching Pages completely and fully switch to Word. Which, by the way, is really better, no matter how much you like the Apple world!

Apr 7, 2014 8:04 AM in response to atomnet

Sorry yes it was Essay, I took the name from the first line.

I tested the two you mentioned and all the oversize is due to the blue texture file used for the default shape fill.

Why this would be included in these two documents and not the other is a mystery only Apple can answer.

But the question on everyone's lips since the new iWork apps came out with Mavericks is

"What the @#$% is Apple thinking?"

Peter

Apr 7, 2014 11:04 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Yes, it's the default shape fill — the unaffected templates seem to have a solid or gradient fill as the default, not a texture. It seems that Pages 5.2 embeds this in exported Word files, whether or not you're actually using it.

And it turns out that leads to another workaround. This may be useful if you've already created a document you want to export to Word, and you don't want to start over.

• Click the "Shape" toolbar icon and add a shape using the default (specked blue) fill.
  • In the "Style" sidebar, expand "Fill", and select "Color Fill".
  • In the "Style" sidebar, right-click the default fill and choose "Redefine Style from Selection".
  • Click "OK" in the dialog that pops up.
  • Delete the shape you created in the first step, unless you want to keep it for some reason.

Jun 16, 2014 5:20 PM in response to gio6666

Having exactly the same issue. Wrote an essay in Pages, my university only accepts submissions in .doc format so I exported it and it was 1.5MB! Way too large to submit electronically. I opened the file on another Mac with MS Office on it in Word, hit Cmd + S and the file went down to 42KB!!! I mean, what's going on? Do Apple want us to not use their apps?

Jun 16, 2014 5:56 PM in response to gio6666

There are alternatives to Pages v5 that output very compact .doc/x documents. I chose a paragraph of 636 characters placed on a default, blank document template. Here are the results in three different WP solutions, with the same content.

The word (93) and character count (636) are identical in all documents produced by these three applications.

Pages v5.2: .doc: 1.5 MB, .docx: 496 KB

Pages ’09 v4.3: .doc: 17 KB, .docx: n/a.

LibreOffice v4.2.4.2: .doc: 11 KB, .docx: 4 KB

Jun 16, 2014 7:24 PM in response to MattMcHackit

Comprehensive file size comparison

All files are the same 10,000 character text file saved to different formats.

File Format Kb

LibreOffice.docx4
Pages 5.txt10
TextEdit.txt10
WordMac '11.txt10
Bean.txt10
LibreOffice.txt10
TextEdit.rtf11
Bean.bean11
Bean.rtfd11
Bean.doc12
Bean.rtf12
iText Express.rtf15
iText Express.txt15
LibreOffice.rtf29
LibreOffice.doc32
WordMac '11.doc38
WordMac '11.rtf43
LibreOffice.odt46
Pages '09.doc48
WordMac '11.docx107
Pages '09.pages137
Pages 5 > Pages '09.pages335
Pages 5.pages377
Pages 5.docx493
Pages 5.doc11,500

Interesting that Mavericks reports not just different file sizes to Snow Leopard, but different ascending order!

Peter

Pages 5.2 creates huges files when exporting into Word format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.