Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clicking noise coming from upper left of macbook pro

I'm suddenly hearing a clicking noise on the upper left side of my macbook pro keyboard. I've found all sorts of references to this, but can't figure out what they all mean.

I need to know if this is something I can fix easily or something I need to take in to the Apple Store.

Can anybody help me?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 11:24 AM

The noise makers on a MBP are the fan(s), the HDD and the optical drive (assuming you have a non retina MBP).

Listen carefully and try to locate the location of the noise. Also indicate the EXACT model MBP you have.

Run an Apple Hardware Test:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Ciao.

3 replies

Apr 6, 2014 11:37 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I went to the site, but according to what it says there, I need the original installation disks for the computer. I'm embarrassed to say, but I'm not sure where they are. The computer is quite a bit older . . . Can I do a hardware test without that?

It's a MacBook Pro 5,2 with an intel Core 2 Duo and 2.66 GHz. It's definitely not a retina MBP. I'm not sure if I know where the model number is?

From everything I've read so far, it sounds like it's the fan.

Again, thanks for your help.

Sherry

Apr 6, 2014 11:44 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

A 5.2 MBP is an early 2009 17" MBP. The two gray disks that came with your MBP which allowed you to install the Leopard OSX are the ones in question. Yes you will need the original installation disk to run the AHT. It will be the second one with the AHT instructions on it. The AHT might be able to determine if one of the fans is faulty.

What you might do is open the MBP and inspect for dirt and debris that may be inside it. If there is any, clean it out, CAREFULLY.

Ciao.

clicking noise coming from upper left of macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.