Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How come my Ipod Touch will only charge when plugged into a computer and not a docking station or wall socket?

My IPhone works with both the charging USB cable as well as the wall socket and docking station. Additionally, my IPod used to charge using both the wall socket plug in and the docking station. My IPod will stay play music when plugged into the docking station, but won't charge. Further, when I plug my IPod into my computer all it will do is charge and is not recognized by ITunes. I have done both a soft and hard reset.

iPod touch (3rd generation), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 12:40 PM

2 replies

Apr 6, 2014 1:17 PM in response to hilde109

If the iPhone has no problem with the same cable then

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Apr 6, 2014 4:23 PM in response to lllaass

I appreciate your response, but I've read both of those posts. I also do not see any missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, or anything broken or missing with the charging port. Additionally, the IPod DOES charge when plugged into my computer, even though it is not recognized in ITunes. I would be happy to make an appointment; however, I am wondering if anyone knows what are the possible issues since I would have to drive quite a ways to get to an Apple Store.

How come my Ipod Touch will only charge when plugged into a computer and not a docking station or wall socket?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.