Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I system restore a purchased mbp mid 2010 but keep the upgraded OS?

I purchased a used MBP mid 2010 and had the seller meet me at the apple store. After I verified the computer was not stolen I asked to have it factory wiped, but they said I needed an appointment. Now I've read directions on this forum on how to restore it myself, is it the same technique they use in the store? Can I restore this machine and keep mavericks or must it be restored to the original OS?

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 12:41 PM

fastcash124,

when Mavericks is downloaded from the Mac App Store, it is non-transferable; the seller should have wiped it from the internal drive before selling it to you. Once you’ve done a clean reïnstallation of Snow Leopard and run Software Update to get it to Mac OS X 10.6.8, you can then download and install your own (non-transferable) copy of Mavericks from the Mac App Store.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2014 12:41 PM in response to fastcash124

fastcash124,

when Mavericks is downloaded from the Mac App Store, it is non-transferable; the seller should have wiped it from the internal drive before selling it to you. Once you’ve done a clean reïnstallation of Snow Leopard and run Software Update to get it to Mac OS X 10.6.8, you can then download and install your own (non-transferable) copy of Mavericks from the Mac App Store.

Can I system restore a purchased mbp mid 2010 but keep the upgraded OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.