Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crucial M4 SSD in an USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure on Mac Book Pro 2013 Retina not working

Hi,

As described above I've a Crucial M4 SSD in a USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure. This same hd worked fine intenrally on a 2011 MacBook Pro and the USB 3.0 enclosed drive works fine on all other MacBook Pros externally prior to this version (MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.6 15" Late 2013 (DG)) running 10.9.2. I've verified this at the genius bar with multiple systems.

I have noticed that the drive seems to work find when connected to a powered USB 2 hub. This is fine if working at a desk with a standard configuration but doens't lend well towards mobile productivity.

Has anyone run into this problem with this latest Mac Book Pro configuration? If so, how have you gotten around it.

Behaviorally the system will mount the drive but then the notification bar will pop up a message stating that the drive was ejected unexpectedly -- which hasn't actually happened. It's almost as if the USB controller finds itself in a loop of sorts.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 12:19 PM

2 replies

May 13, 2014 6:48 PM in response to williamd1618

Hi,

I have the same problem. Moved my M500 960 Gb from my MBP 17" early 2011 due to graphic card failure (a shame Apple does not offer a recall for this factory faulty units), and then purchased a USB 3.0 enclosure and when connected to my MBP 15" purchased on may 2014, it finds the drive and then drops it almost immediately with the disconnection message usually OS X shows when abruptly disconnecting a mounted drive.

Maybe the drive is dwaing too much power from the USB ? Maybe OS X is dropping the connection due to a driver problem ? I don't know for sure.

I hope someone could give us some light and this could be solved without having to carry around a powered USB hub.

Regards.

May 13, 2014 6:54 PM in response to andresmaduro

I've a M500 960GB and never had any problems with it in a USB enclosure. I'm betting that the problem is not with your drive but rather your MacBook Pro, as outlined (many times) in this -> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?tstart=0 - discussion.

If you don't think that's your problem, you should try a USB 2.0 enclosure as your pre-USB 3.0 computer may be having some problems with the USB 3.0 SATA connection in the enclosure.

Good luck,

Clinton

Crucial M4 SSD in an USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure on Mac Book Pro 2013 Retina not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.