Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I start-up my computer it has a Flashing ? in a Folder. I removed the HDD as then plugged it in via USB and it worked, but just won't work with it inside the Macbook.

So, I just had a bit of a hurried train journey, two connections very close together, resulting in my laptop bouncing around a bit inside my bag (in a case). The Macbook was shutdown the entire time, but when I tried to start it up it came up with a flashing folder with a "?" in the middle of it after the start-up "bong".

I proceeded to remove the hard drive to check if it was okay, and it worked fine via USB into my iMac, so I am now running my Macbook Pro from a hard-drive that is completely naked outside of its shell.

What could have gone wrong other than the hard drive, bairng in mind that it is all working perfectly well with the hard-drive plugged in via USB. I was thinking it could be the ribbon cable that connects the hard-drive internally, however I had this replaced not long ago after a previous complete hard-drive failure, but that's a story for another time.

If anyone could help I'd be very appreciative, as my macbook looks ghetto as all **** right now, as I have the hard-drive sellotaped to the left of my trackpad.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 1:40 PM

If Apple was the one that replaced the ribbon cable, return it. If not, run AHT (Apple Hardware Test).

Using Apple Hardware Test to troubleshoot a hardware problem

Your issues might be caused by a hardware problem. Running Apple Hardware Test can help you solve this problem by showing you the faulty hardware.

Shut down the computer by going to Apple () > Shut Down…

Select Shut Down or allow the computer to shut down automatically.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter into a power source and then connect it to your Mac if you have not already done so.

Press the Power Button to turn on the computer.

Press and hold the D key on the keyboard before the grey starting screen appears.

Continue to hold the D key until the loading screen shows up. You should see a globe.

When AHT has loaded, select your Language and then press the Return (↩) key.

Select the Perform Extended Testing checkbox located under the Test button.

Press the T key, select the Test button, or press the Return (↩) key to start running the diagnostics.

Report any issues it shows in a reply.

I hope I helped.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2014 1:40 PM in response to ThatPodge

If Apple was the one that replaced the ribbon cable, return it. If not, run AHT (Apple Hardware Test).

Using Apple Hardware Test to troubleshoot a hardware problem

Your issues might be caused by a hardware problem. Running Apple Hardware Test can help you solve this problem by showing you the faulty hardware.

Shut down the computer by going to Apple () > Shut Down…

Select Shut Down or allow the computer to shut down automatically.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter into a power source and then connect it to your Mac if you have not already done so.

Press the Power Button to turn on the computer.

Press and hold the D key on the keyboard before the grey starting screen appears.

Continue to hold the D key until the loading screen shows up. You should see a globe.

When AHT has loaded, select your Language and then press the Return (↩) key.

Select the Perform Extended Testing checkbox located under the Test button.

Press the T key, select the Test button, or press the Return (↩) key to start running the diagnostics.

Report any issues it shows in a reply.

I hope I helped.

User uploaded file

When I start-up my computer it has a Flashing ? in a Folder. I removed the HDD as then plugged it in via USB and it worked, but just won't work with it inside the Macbook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.