Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard drive wont mount after upgrading to Mavericks

I bought a toshiba 1 TB external hard drive (Drive format = Tuxera NTFS) yesterday and everything worked fine, the drive showed up in the finder and desktop right after plugging in and I was able to moved alot of files over to the drive to clear out space on my MacBook Pro. After doing this upgraded to the new OS X Mavericks. Now when I try to plug in the drive it didn't work and even when I go into disk utility it doesn't allow me to mount it. The error message says "Mount Failed; The disk “TOSHIBA EXT” could not be mounted. Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting." I run the first aid and there are no issues. The drive also doesnt show up in finder go -> go to folder /volumes. The odd thing is as I have been trying to get this to work for a couple hours one time it randomly mounted but wouldnt let me copy files on it although I could see everything I added to it yesterday. I ejected the drive and tried to research this issue but when I tried to mount it again I'm back at the same issue I descirbed above and it just wont mount.

If there is anything you guys know about how to fix this issue I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Greg Gold

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 1:00 PM

2 replies

Apr 6, 2014 1:34 PM in response to GGAPPLEID

Repair the disk using Disk Utililty.

Repairing a disk using Disk Utility.

Note: This should not delete any information or files from the disk.

Repairing a disk can help solve various issues.

Launch the Disk Utility application in any of the following ways:

• Type the first few letters of its name into Spotlight. Select it from the results.

• Go Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

• Go Launchpad > Other > Disk Utility

Once you are in the Disk Utility app, select the drive from the sidebar on the left.

Select the First Aid tab.

Then, choose the Repair Disk button on the right.

If the Repair Disk button is grey or unavailable, select Verify Disk and then select Repair Disk.

If you are repairing your startup drive, repair the disk using the Recovery HD.

Repairing a disk using Disk Utility on the Recovery HD.

Note: This should not delete any information or files from the disk.

Repairing a disk can help solve various file-related issues.

Make sure the computer is powered off before continuing.

Press the Power Button to turn on the computer.

Press and hold both the R and Command (⌘) keys on the keyboard until the Recovery partition loads. If this does not work, shut down the computer, press the Power Button to turn on the computer, and then hold in the Alt (⌥) button immediately after you press the power button. Then, select the Recovery HD partition to boot up in the Recovery HD partition.

Select Disk Utility.

Once you are in the Disk Utility app, select the drive from the sidebar on the left.

Then, choose the Repair Disk button on the right.

If the Repair Disk button is grey or unavailable, select Verify Disk and then select Repair Disk.

I hope I helped.

User uploaded file

Apr 6, 2014 4:07 PM in response to GGAPPLEID

Based on what you have said, I suspect that the HDD is formatted NFTS and you are using Tuxera in order to read/write to the drive. You might try to use Paragon instead which is supposed to do the same thing. Unfortunately both software applications have had mixed results as you may be experiencing.

If I am correct the best alternative is to reformat the HDD. If you want it to be both PC and Mac compatible, format it to exFAT, preferably on a PC. If it is for Mac only, then format it via Disk Utility>Erase to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Note that formatting will delete all user data so transfer any data you wish to retain to another HDD.

Ciao.

External Hard drive wont mount after upgrading to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.