Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recover access to iPhone 5s

My iPhone 5s has locked me out, and won't even let me use the fingerprint access. How can I re-access the phone / re-set the passcode - at least without purging all the phone's data? I'm on the road. My desktop is over a thousand miles away. My iPad (1st generation) lacks a usb port. I don't have a 30 Pin - fire cable.

Tom Mike Pat

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 4:28 PM

The only way to recover from that point especially without the computer you normally sync with, is a restore. Actually the restore is the solution even if you had the computer. But without it, there is no way for you to make another backup of the device. When is the last backup you have access to? Was it an iCloud backup? If you have an iCloud backup, you could wipe the device and restore to an iCloud backup, but if your backups are on iTunes, then you could only set the device up as new, without any of your content.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2014 4:28 PM in response to tommikepat

The only way to recover from that point especially without the computer you normally sync with, is a restore. Actually the restore is the solution even if you had the computer. But without it, there is no way for you to make another backup of the device. When is the last backup you have access to? Was it an iCloud backup? If you have an iCloud backup, you could wipe the device and restore to an iCloud backup, but if your backups are on iTunes, then you could only set the device up as new, without any of your content.

Apr 6, 2014 5:31 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks, ChrisJ4203

I have (?had?) "Find My iPhone", and (I think) Cloud backup. I say 'I think' because "Find My iPhone" finds my iPad, but not my iPhone, which is here on the desk with me. The apps screen sure showed "Find My iPhone", I know that.

Anyhow - I would have set up for iCloud automatic backup, if I was in my right mind at the time.

How would I "wipe" the iPhone? I tried resetting it, by holding the lock button and the home button until the screen blacked out, ant the apple subsequently reappeared. The phone still demands the password - which I swear I was entering correctly. That's neither here nor there.

Tom

Apr 6, 2014 5:37 PM in response to tommikepat

Find My iPhone app is not necessary to use on the iPhone. The purpose of the app is to help you locate someone elses iPhone. Find My iPhone has to be activated in iCloud. If your device is not showing up when logging into iCloud, then it must not be activated.

The reset that you did is not what is needed on your device. The wipe I was referring to would be the remote wipe in iCloud, however it cannot be accessed if you did not have iCloud signed in on the phone. This support document provides the procedures for restoring your phone, but without the computer and iCloud, you are not in good shape. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

You could connect to another computer and restore the device, but that will delete all of your data. You will lose everything, but you will regain use of your device.

Message was edited by: ChrisJ4203

Apr 6, 2014 5:37 PM in response to tommikepat

If the phone is not showing up when you log in to https://icloud.com/find using any computer then you are out of luck. If you can successfully log in and see your iPhone you can erase it, then remove it from your account. You can then reactivate the phone. You will be prompted to restore an iCloud backup.

Find my iPhone is a setting on the phone, not an app. The app is optional and is to find one device from ANOTHER device.

recover access to iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.