Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'iphoto will open as soon as the iphoto library is available. Time machine might be backing it up" - message been cycling for hours now. Can't access anything in photos

Up till yesterday, our iphoto was working correctly. At one point, I noticed the slideshow wasn't displaying, so I opened iphoto and the message said there was a newer version, so I selected upgrade. The next message said the library needs rebuilding. Selected rebuild. Next,

I got the message in the header, and it's been cycling for hours now with no result. I'm not computer friendly, so I could use some help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 2:42 PM

10 replies

Apr 6, 2014 7:49 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the reply.

I was wrong - the OS is 10.6.8. Is that old, too? I don't know where to find the version of iphoto I had and which one is trying to upgrade. Where would I find that. I restarted and still the same message.

"Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process for very large libraries may take an hour or more to complete." selected upgrade:

"iphoto is unable to open this library. The library has issues that require rebuilding. The iphoto library is missing required database files and must be rebuilt before it can be opened" selected rebuild:

Next message is: "waiting for iphoto library...will open as soon as library is available. Time machine might be backing it up" and cycling.....

During this time, the iphoto file is unavailable, all options greyed out.

I have an external hard drive connected and time machine is on.

Like I said, not literate with computers, so I hope I'm giving the right information

Apr 7, 2014 1:38 PM in response to LarryHN

Thank you again for replying.

iPhoto version 9.2.3. I'm not able to use any options in the iphoto app, all are greyed out, so I accessed the info in finder, as you suggested

Restarting doesn't change anything.

"Unable to open iphoto, there are issues that require rebuilding... missing database files"

I wonder what database files are missing. where did they go and why?

Apr 7, 2014 6:55 PM in response to Sarawan

stay away from the "all images" list - it is not a place but a list of images and if you make any changes using it you can destroy your library

And it s not possible to backup your iPhoto library from the all images list

And you do not backup the iPhoto library from iPhoto - you do it from the finder or using (a much better plan) backup software like Time Machine or others

DownloadiPhoto Library Manager - http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ - and use the free trial's rebuild command to rebuild the library to a new library leaving the existing one intact for future use as needed

LN

'iphoto will open as soon as the iphoto library is available. Time machine might be backing it up" - message been cycling for hours now. Can't access anything in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.