Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have unlimited text so I don't want imessage turned on. If it's not on I cannot receive text from other IPhone users.

If I have imessage on using data I can recieve text messages from other IPhone users.

If I turn off imessage I cannot get any text messages from these same IPhone users but I can get text from android and others.

I have unlimited text on my plan but I'm forced to use data to be an iphone fan ?

I don't get it.

How do I get text from other Iphone users just using sms and mms?

Yes my SMS switch is on.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 2:40 PM

Tell them to only send you SMS's...they will need to turn iMessage off when messaging you.

Frankly, I don't understand why you don't want to use iMessage, but it's your choice.

10 replies

Apr 6, 2014 3:02 PM in response to modular747

Okay, this works but good grief it is expected of me to modify all the iPhones of all the people whom may want to text me now and in the future? Also if they don't know to do this then they're out of luck till they struggle to find the answer? It seems this operating system is monopoly. Use it like we want you to or else you will ahve to figure out how to work around it? This is very odd. None the less thanks for your reply because this fixed the immidiate need of texting my family members.

Jun 29, 2014 8:45 AM in response to gmackhurry

I agree with gmackhurry If the data usage is so insignificant then why is it that whenever iMessage is on my daughters and/or my phone we start getting to the end of our data plan. Mole hill or not this is a problem that is extremely frustrating and yes dictatorial and monopolistic. I see no advantage to having iMessage over regular SMS other than i can see if they are typing or not, and frankly that part is just weird. I pay for unlimited texting, why in the world would I want to pay for another service that gets me nothing.

I have unlimited text so I don't want imessage turned on. If it's not on I cannot receive text from other IPhone users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.