Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

move photos to iPad from Mac

How do you move photos from Mac to Ipad WITHOUT whiping photos already on the iPad. I know you can't use "sync" because that whipes out what is already on the iPad. I was able to do this on a PC with a folder that iTunes kept on the iPad.

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3, And iMac, iPhoto, iTunes

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 4:02 PM

7 replies

Apr 6, 2014 4:55 PM in response to Datadog42

Yes you can do it by syncing, but you have to include ALL of the photos that you want to sync in one main photos folder. You can create sub folders inside the main syncing folder and select the individual folders to sync from that one photos folder or you can select all of the folders to sync.

So create one folder of photos on your computer that you want to sync to the iPad and select that folder in the Photos tab of iTunes from the "Sync Photos From" drop down menu.

Apr 7, 2014 10:45 AM in response to Applegeek89

Applegeek89,

When I tried to sync a folder, I got a warning that it would whipe out exsiting photos on the iPad. If I understand you correctly, you have to first import all the photos off the iPad onto the Mac and include them in the folder-to-be-synced along with the new photos I want to add to the iPad so they are back on the iPad after the sync?

Apr 7, 2014 11:00 AM in response to Applegeek89

Demo,

Haven't been using iCloud for photos. I may be doing something that is "not normal". There are multiple users on the iMac. The iPad-iCloud account is for a different user than the iMac user account where the photos are. If syncing doesn't work. I will have to investigate iCloud to see if there is a work around the iMacmulti user vs,iPad single iCloud "account" issue.

Apr 8, 2014 8:55 PM in response to Ralph9430

Thank you everyone for your help.

This was supposed to be a quick task. I had 30 minutes to put photos on the iPad to then take it away show the photos. Being unaware of the limitations, this went south. So the opportunity (and the urgency) is passed. I am going to try all this out at my leisure when I have enough time.

To summarize what I have learned about moving photos iMac to iPad.

Have to wire iPad to Mac via USB.

Can't use iPad like a removable device and add/remove files via something like Finder on the Mac iPad. Must use iTunes.

Impossible to keep photos that are ONLY on iPad when you "sync" (except for Camera Roll).

iPad can only be synced to ONE computer. I think this also means to ONE user account on that computer.

To do what I was thinking.

Copy all desired photos into one iMac user account.

Import photos from iPad into that same account.

Plunk all the desired photos in one folder (may have subfolders) and sync that folder to the iPad using iTunes.

move photos to iPad from Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.