Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2011 backlight problem

Over the past few months, my iMac backlight has been going out at random times while I'm using it. At first, this occurred very infrequently (maybe once every couple of weeks) and now it occurs very frequently (almost every time I use the iMac). It took me a while to figure out that the iMac was not going to sleep, not hanging, and not freezing. The backlight was simply going out but otherwise the machine was functioning fine. For instance, I can "Share the Screen" from my MacBook and use the iMac while the built-in screen is black or I can hook up an external monitor and use it in place of the built in display when it decides to go out. I also learned that I could force the backlight to come on by manually putting the iMac to sleep (CTRL+Shift+Eject...then pressing space to wake it). When the iMac is "acting up", it frequently just shuts the backlight right back off in a matter of seconds after waking it from sleep. While searching for a possible solution, I tried all the suggestions I found like: reset SMC, reset NVRAM, run with brightness low, run with brightness high, run with brightness at half, turn off ambient light sensor, turned off hot corners, etc. These procedures do not change or improve the behavior. Right now, the iMac is out of warranty and I am convinced that this is a hardware problem. I believe my only practical option is to take the iMac in to Apple to have it repaired. I suspect the repair will be expensive but if it's less than say...$600, I will pay to it to make this machine reliable again. If it's more than that, I am probably going to scrap this machine and put the money towards a new one. My biggest fear is that I'll decide to pay for the repair...only to have it start occurring again once I get it back home. I've read posts were this happened to people but they were still under warranty. They returned the machine back to Apple again for additional component replacements before it was finally fixed.

My questions:

1. Is there anyone out there that had this same issue that can share their experience/resolution?
  2. Does anyone have experience paying for repairs while out of warranty? How does Apple handle situations where you’ve paid for a repair (for example, parts and labor to replace component) and then you find out the original problem is not fixed?
  3. Does anyone have advice or suggestions that I haven't tried yet?

A few other notes:

• This started happening after I upgraded to Mavericks, but I think that is a coincidence. I may restore to the original OS as a last resort before taking the machine in for repair.
  • My iMac does not have the video card that had the recall.
  • When my iMac backlight is working, I never have the "half screen dimmer" or "line down the middle" issue that some other people experience.

Here’s my iMac's info:

Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac12,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F

SMC Version (system): 1.72f2

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6740

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0170F-175

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.560

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 7:36 PM

Most article's that I came across were half screen issues as well. However, I did find >This one where buckingham had the same issue.

Additionally I also found > This which might help you in your quest for a repair.

5 replies

Apr 21, 2014 2:58 AM in response to gklaas

Hello,

I've got exactly the same problem : imac 27 mid 2011 screen going black randomly, but I can force it to wake up by sending the screen to sleep and waking it up. It began with my upgrade to Mavericks, but I downgraded to ML and Snow leopard, without any change. It now happens when I'm running with windows / bootcamp.

If you try to repair your backlight board, let us know if it fixed your problem...

Thx

Daffodil

Jul 16, 2014 1:51 AM in response to gklaas

I have been living with this exact problem for about a year. The description by gklaas is spot on and I have the same iMac model.

I was late in moving to Mavericks so I can tell you that it started with Snow Leopard (iMac was supplied with Mountain Lion but I managed to downgrade to 10.6.8) and now the problem still continues with 10.9.4 installed.

Using a hot corner to dim and wake the screen will always bring it back to life but I have been getting around the problem 100% by running it with the brightness set to #3. This morning I noticed that the screen was starting to flicker slightly–a bad omen–and then I realised that I'd accidentally lowered the brightness to #1. Turning it up full (OMG that's bright!) and back down to #3 seems to have settled it again.

Notes:

I have seen the problem while running F1 2003 in Windows.

When I leave my desk I also use the hot corner to dim the screen but that's just to save energy otherwise the screen is on for hours at a time.

I also run SSD Fan control to keep the Mac a bit cooler which I think helps avoid the issue - see my settings below.User uploaded file

This is a free app from exiron.net

iMac 27-inch Mid 2011 backlight problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.