Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it wise to delete Time Machine backups?

Hi

I tried to delete several Time Machine backups and was unable to.

These are over a year old and I have many, many more recent ones saved.

So two questions.

Should I be deleting these?

If so, how?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), iPhoto 9.5.1

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 6:15 PM

12 replies

Apr 6, 2014 7:20 PM in response to A Silverstone

Marc is right. In addition, you will lose the ability to restore back to those points in time.

If the time machine is an externally connected drive, all you can do is erase the disk and start again, causing a full backup to occur and loss of any past backups. If it is a network drive, you can rename the sparse bundle, again causing a full backup as it creates a new sparse bundle. In this case you don't lose all prior backups, because, if you know what you're doing, you can configure time machine to use the old sparse bundle again. If you're not entirely comfortable with the info in this paragraph, take Marc's advice and leave it alone; it will delete any previous backups when appropriate.

Apr 7, 2014 2:53 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks everone. The recommendations would all normally work, so I do not know why these folders wont go back home.

When I control click the folders in the trash, nothing happens.

When I check file under the finder, put back is greyed out. I tried doing the keyboard command for put back with the folders highlighted, but nothing happens.

I notice my permissions are only set to read, although I am the administrator.

Do I need to change them to read & write? If so, is there a way to change all folders at once? There are about 10 folders, so doing them individually is a bore.

Thanks

Andrew

Is it wise to delete Time Machine backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.