Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you delete a movie from a local computer without deleting it from the library? This should be such a simple procedure, but it's not. And while we're at it, why is iTunes NOT one of the dropdown product choices?

All Apple support says about deleting movies from a computer is that you "should" be able to re-download it if you live in the right area. Well, I'm in the U.S.A. and just deleted one of the movie extra features exactly as described in the support directions. According to Apple I should be able to re-download this from the cloud at any time, but now I no longer even see the title listed. That's why I wanted to test their support statements with a Movie Extra instedad of a real movie. This should be the simplest of tasks to manage, yet they make it extremely difficult. Why? I own the movies and I want them to stay in my iTunes library basically forever. Makes sense, right? But, I only have so much room on my laptop to store movies that I want to have with me on long trips, etc. So if I only have the space to store 3 or 4 movies on the disk, shouldn't I have the ability to every once in a while delete one of those movies from my local computer ONLY, NOT my library, so that I can download a different movie? Yet the first thing iTunes does when you hit the delete key is tell you that it will remove the movie forever from all devices and the library. So why does support say you can download again any time from the cloud then? The worse part is, the calamity doesnt stop there. Wait until you see the message you actually get once you say that yes, you do want to delete the movie (but only because you assume that you really can download it again sometime). Here is the exact 2 messages you get from Apple, in the same popup box.

Do you want to move the selected movie to the Recycle Bin, or keep it in the iTunes Media Folder?

Only files in the iTunes Media Folder will be moved to the Recycle Bin.

[Cancel] [Move to the Recycle Bin] [Keep File]

Is that the most confusing popup or what? Who develops this kind of software?!?!?!

I have tried it both ways and the only difference is that the file shows up in the Recycle Bin or doesn't. But in both cases the file name no longer shows in the movie list, so I don't know how to re-download it from the Cloud. Better hey, if I clicked "Keep File", where is it? I can't see it anywhere, so where is it kept and what can I actually do with it?

I have to be honest, I love my iPhone and some of the neat features, but when it comes to iTunes, I have never seen a more difficult piece of software to use in my life... and I'm a software developer. Your Support documentation is actually more confusing than the softwae itself, it's almost as if you don't want people to use the software, just simply buy stuff and listen/watch it, but nothing else. Seriously, this is the most cumbersome, unfriendly piece of software I've ever seen. What does it say about Apple iTunes when everyone has to google solutions for how to do something rather than using Apple support documentation.

Seriously disappointed in Apple iTunes and it's never really gotten any better over time. This is one of the primary reasons I have never moved all of my recording studios and office operations over to an Apple platform. Hardware and phones are awesome, but your software is either grossly incompetent or intentionally designed to make it all but impossible to use. Either way, it's worthless to me. We're talking about software that does nothing else but manage media that I already own on multiple devices. That should be one of the simplest things in the world to do. Sad... very sad.

While we're at it.... why isn't iTunes listed on the product dropdown below? Maybe it's not even considered a product, which would explain it's goofiness I guess.

Windows 8, This should be so simple but nope

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 7:57 PM

7 replies

Apr 6, 2014 9:53 PM in response to 4rev127

I own the movies and I want them to stay in my iTunes library basically forever.

But in both cases the file name no longer shows in the movie list, so I don't know how to re-download it from the Cloud.

iTunes prefs > Store > Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases.

This will show all your iTunes purchases in your library with a cloud icon down arrow. Click the icon to redownload or click on Play to stream without downloading.

Also see this , -> Download past purchases

and techncially, you don't "own" the movie, You simply have a license to use it.

Yet the first thing iTunes does when you hit the delete key is tell you that it will remove the movie forever from all devices and the library.

Actually, no it does not tell you that.

FYI: You should keep copies of all yoru iTnue spurahses as the labels/movie studios/copyright owners can pull their product at anytime and it won't be available to redownload.

Suggestions here -> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Apr 6, 2014 9:58 PM in response to Chris CA

Just to add what I think is clarification:

iTunes Library refers to the storage on the device used with iTunes (Library on Device, Library on computer, etc).

iTunes in the Cloud - is the history of purchases which you can redownload from - As Chris stated, as long as the media is still available in the iTunes store.

If you are running low on storage on your laptop, why not use an External drive to store the files? This is a good practice, as it allows you to keep everything local (not cloud based, or requiring a data connection)

Regarding the bonus content - That may be what is no longer available in the iTunes store, or it could require redownloading the parent content (the main part of the media) to be available (Comes in a package).

If you have problems with content you purchased, you can always reach out to the iTunes store support personnel.

http://www.apple.com/lae/support/itunes/contact/

Jul 12, 2015 5:36 PM in response to 4rev127

@4rev127

Here are the steps to delete the downloaded version of the movie off your local hard drive, but keep the iCloud version available in iTunes (note: I’m running iTunes version 12.1.2):

1. Launch iTunes

2. Goto iTunes (menu) —> Preferences —> Store (tab)

3. Make sure “Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases” is CHECKED

4. In iTunes click on the Filmstrip Icon for your Movies list

5. In iTunes click on the “My Movies” tab

6. Right-Click or Control-Click on the movie you want to delete from your local drive

7. From the context menu choose “DELETE”

8. Make sure “Also hide this movie in iCloud” is UNCHECKED

9. Click “Delete Movie” button

10. Next choose, “Move to Trash”

11. Finder —> Empty Trash (to free-up your hard drive space)

The movie title card will still be shown in the iTunes movie list, but it will now have the small iCloud icon (in the bottom-right corner). You can click that cloud icon if you ever want to re-download the movie file back to your local hard drive.

NOTE 1: I have heard that sometimes movies and TV episodes get pulled from iTunes, so before you delete the m4v movie file, you may want to burn a copy to an external DVD-R.

NOTE 2: Sometimes there are multiple versions of the movie with smaller file sizes if you also have the movie stored on your iPhone or iPad. You can also choose to delete the movie from your mobile device if you desire.

If you want to see all the versions of the movie that are saved to your local hard disk drive (or SSD), or you would like to burn a backup copy, then follow this path in the Finder…

Username —> Music —> iTunes —> iTunes Media —> Movies

Then, just look inside each movie folder to see other versions, movie extras, etc.

Oct 22, 2015 8:30 AM in response to 4rev127

You original post is dated BUT thank you so very much for articulating what is in my head. I have been so tempted to think something is wrong with me. I have a doctorate degree and cannot grasp how iTunes really works. This is especially true where manipulating content and data is concerned. I keep feeling like someone does NOT want me to even use the software NOR the media I have already purchased. Apple attracted me many years ago from the PC world because of its claim to simplicity. So much for this concept. Your post/blog is right on. It should receive a Pulitzer mention or something! You're my new best friend!

Oct 27, 2015 11:50 AM in response to 4rev127

I'm not certain about iTunes for Windows, but if you purchased a movie, song, show, you can remove the local copy by simply right clicking and selecting "Remove Download" instead of "Delete". If you try to play it, it'll automatically start downloading it again. You will immediately regain your hard disk space.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file (cloud icon will appear on the bottom right)

For the record, I'm running iTunes 12.3.0.44. I hope this helps.

Mar 26, 2016 7:00 AM in response to robertswww

Thanks Robertwww for responding to this 15 month old (now much older) post. I just encountered this problem, googled it, landed on this page years after the initial post (which, by the way, is a characteristic of the web - stuff stays forever), and found my solution. Like many, I don't have the time or the desire to become a 9th level support person. When I have a question, I need an answer. I don't need to be spoken down to by a support person who is apparently more interested in correcting the technical inaccuracies of users' questions (some of these inaccuracies, though inaccurate, are inconsequential) than in solving their problems.

Like you, I noticed that at least 22 people have had a similar problem and no one had found any of the previous posts helpful. Finally, months after the original post, you provide users with a helpful response. You'd have thought a 9th level could have provided a helpful response to the original post, but you'd have been wrong.

Thanks again Robertwww for providing a clear and comprehensive solution.

NOTE: zerosix has posted the correct solution to this issue for current versions of iTunes.

How do you delete a movie from a local computer without deleting it from the library? This should be such a simple procedure, but it's not. And while we're at it, why is iTunes NOT one of the dropdown product choices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.