You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages- can't scroll to see old conversations.

I used to be able to scroll up on my conversations and keep scrolling and scrolling etc...readnig back. but now i can't? now after about 20 short, one line messages, it cuts off the old messages, and i can't go up farther than those unless more messages keep coming in and then it cuts off agains etc... Anyone know how to change that? I'm not sure if it was an update or something, but I'd like to change it back.

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 9:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 11:56 AM

Hi,

You are still running Mountain Lion on your computer ?

I would point out as Eric has done that this Thread will be three yeas old next Friday.

User uploaded file

7:56 pm Monday; March 27, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)
8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 27, 2017 11:56 AM in response to Janellewu

Hi,

You are still running Mountain Lion on your computer ?

I would point out as Eric has done that this Thread will be three yeas old next Friday.

User uploaded file

7:56 pm Monday; March 27, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Apr 7, 2014 12:32 PM in response to Helmsdeep0

Hi,

If these are iMessages in Messages 7.x.x in Mountain Lion they are held in an item called Chat.db in ~/Library/Messages

If you have Time Machine and go to this Folder (Messages) you could replace the chat.db item with an older one that might have "history" that goes back further - but you will lose the more recent items.

There can be issues if the items was replace earlier as this will lose the "history" in the previous chat.db item.

The Messages beta did the best of using older Saved Chats compared to the Messages 7.x.x versions or the Mavericks' Messages version 8

To be clear the Save Chats and the "history" that the chat.db database items in fill are different.

For iMessages it seems the app relies on the chat.db items.

Things were moved fro the Mavericks upgrade which also impacted on this.

User uploaded file

8:32 pm Monday; April 7, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Apr 10, 2014 4:20 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Yay thank you for replying.

The loading the old chats would work, but i simply just wanted to be able to scroll up again without having to lose anything. I've done that before with literally a couple weeks of conversation. I have version 8 right now but the problem randomly fixed itself a couple minutes ago and now I can scroll again. I mean it wasn't like I was scrolling wrong before, but that's ok because it's working now. I'll keep all that stuff you said in mind though thank you! Let's hope this doesn't happen again...

iMessages- can't scroll to see old conversations.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.