Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you format a USB on a mac

I have a lexar USB 32GBs and it has its permissions set as read-only and it is formatted as FAT32 and it can't be formatted in disk utility since it is greyed out and it unable to even recognize it there.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 9:21 PM

14 replies

Apr 7, 2014 12:42 PM in response to hssxn

The Disk Utility IS GREYED OUT . and there is no option for me to set its permissions

Are you saying you cannot launch Disk Utility?

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, and you cannot not start it?

If you can launch Disk Utility, AND if the Lexar is grayed out in the Disk Utility side-bar, then I've found that if the USB thumb drive has a "Write Lock" switch, that will prevent Disk Utility from formatting the disk. Although I have only had 1 USB Thumbdrive that had a "Write Lock" switch. All the others I own were always read/write and no switch on the side.

Next question, are you logged into your Mac as an Administrator (generally the first account created on the Mac is the administrator), or are you a non-privileged account on the Mac. It is always possible that you need to be an admin (this is just guessing, and has no basis in reality).

Apr 7, 2014 1:14 PM in response to hssxn

Some flash drives have a failure mode in which they are irreversibly write-locked by the internal controller when it detects a write error. If the drive doesn't have a write-lock switch (most do not) and you can't erase it in Disk Utility, that's almost certainly what has happened. To be sure, test it with another computer, if possible.

Apr 7, 2014 2:26 PM in response to Linc Davis

LJDS50-32GASBNALexar JumpDrive S50

that is the model number and name for the usb drive i have

The problem is that it wont l;et mye copy anything on to it or off it. and when i tried to reset its permissions iot doesnt give me the options to and if i tried to refomat ion disk utility the option is greyed out as in i cannot select the option.

i did look in the :"get info" section for the usb drive and it is set to read only so i do need a way to make it re writable !

Apr 7, 2014 3:04 PM in response to Linc Davis

Alright I'm gonna fully explain the situation .

I have a Green 32GB Lexar USB Stick -> LJDS50 - 32GASBNA

I had a few pictures on it through my mac and now after about 2 weeks i put it into my mac and it was

1) unrecognized by Finder unless i restart the computer everytime i insert it.

and

2) it is not letting me put any files in it

when i looked in the permissions of the drive it only says read - only and has no options to change it.

it is in a FAT32 Format and when i tried to reformat it in disk utility it does not let me as the option cannot be selected as it is greyed out .

I just tried to put it in a windows computer and tried to format it from there and it showed me messages of the disk being "WRITE PROTECTED" AND from the command prompt it says it is NOT READ-ONLY.

what i am trying to do is somehow get the disk to a rewritable level then format it

How do you format a USB on a mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.