Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages for iOS freezes when selecting.

Hi there. I have been experiencing issues on my iPad when I select things in Pages for iOS. When I try and select things, it freezes the app for 10-15 seconds the would respond. But expanding the selected area would freeze the app again. It only happens when I select things. It doesn't freeze the iPad, only the app. It only does this in Pages. When I type in Notes, Calender or any other application with a keyboard, it doesn't freeze. Only in Pages. I have deleted and reinstalled the app. Restarted the iPad and have left it to die and recharge it form 0%. This is annoying me as I can't change font colour, size or style. I can't even use auto correct when reviewing documents. I am sick of it and need help ASAP. If any of you can help, that would be very muchly appreciated. Thank you.

iPad, iOS 7.1, iPad Air WI-Fi + Cellular 32 GB

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 1:57 AM

25 replies

Apr 7, 2014 9:55 AM in response to Master of iPad

We have the same problem. I have an iPad mini, my wife has an iPad 2 (both the cellular models). Both have iOS 7.0.6; iPages is version 2.2.

This problem does not occur an any other app we’ve yet noticed. But selecting text in Pages freezes the app.

We’ve also tried the things Master of iPad has tried with no success,

I plan to back-up one of the iPads, reset it to the factory settings via iTunes, and then go from there. I’ll post here if it works.

Apr 7, 2014 2:23 PM in response to Master of iPad

Thanks Masail and Giraffe and Chromatin. I have not been experiencing what you are Chromatin, but it is weird to hear that it is freezing your iPad altogether. Masail. I hope it goes well with the erase and restore. I hope it works out doing that, because that is not a path I don't want to go down unless its the only option. I thank you for both of your concerns and help.

Apr 7, 2014 8:36 PM in response to Master of iPad

Good news! After syncing (again), but before doing the reset/restore business, it worked on mine. So I just re-synced my wife's also and, presto! it's working as normally. I didn't need to follow my own drastic suggestion. It's weird, though, that the previous sync didn't not affect the problem but this one did.

Let us know if you get the problem sorted out on your device.

Apr 8, 2014 1:35 AM in response to maasailand giraffe

Hi there again.

Maassail. I have tried what you have done. I have connected it to my PC and synced it twice, Backed it up twice and transferred the app to the PC. I don't know what to do now. I am now comsidering ringing up App,e for assistance as none of the methods work. I have contacted the IT gurus at work and they said I am the first one with this issue and they don't know how to fix it. If anyone else knows what to do, I am willing to do anything now, even erase the iOad and restore it. (As long as it doesn't blow our internet usage!)

Thank you again for all your help Maassail. I hope that. I have helped you and your wife.

Apr 8, 2014 2:24 AM in response to Master of iPad

When you deleted the app, did you delete it from the iPad itself, or via iTunes on your computer (or both ways)?

It shouldn't make a difference, but it might.

Short of the drastic reset/restore option, if you’ve only deleted it with one of those two methods, I’d try the other one, followed by a first sync that doesn’t reinstall the app and then try reinstalling.

Alternatively, you could delete the Pages app from both iTunes and the iPad and do a fresh download and reinstall. (Though if you’re paying for data units rather than for bandwidth, that will eat into your internet usage a bit.)

Apr 9, 2014 12:56 AM in response to cape may

Hi there Capemay, welcome to the discussion.

I have done the 'reset all settings' options under General-Reset-All settings. I went back on after that and tried, but still there. I have called up Apple last night. They suggested that, and still haven't fixed it. They recomend, as a assail was originally saying, "reset iPad to factory settings and restore from back up and see what is wrong." I can not reset and restore as our household has limited internet. The only internet in our house hold is from our phones which is as follows 2x 5GB, 1x 1.5GB, 1x 2.5GB and 1x 200MB. The internet is all from devices and we currently have no land line. (Curse you Telstra!) and we currently disconnected our wireless thinking that our mobile devices would be good for us. I am still willing to do anything EXCEPT reset the iPad.

I hope that there is a fix as this is a silly bug that should of been patched in the 2.2 update I updated to a week ago. I hope Apple finds a fix soon.

Apr 11, 2014 4:21 PM in response to Master of iPad

Hi, I suffer a similar problem you describes and this is the message I sent to feedback,

'11-april-2014 Pages, Numbers & Keynote freeze selecting text when wifi or 3G are on,

Hello, I have iPad Air iOS 7.1, Pages, Numbers and Keynote 2.2. When I select text into a document of these apps don't respond during 2-5 second. Then I can see magnifier mini image freeze till popup menu emerge. This problem doesn't happen in other app like Notes, Safari and even in search option into iWorks app. Besides, when I select the whole paragraph, and magnifier doesn't emerge, it doesn't happen. Therefore, it seems the problem is magnifier animation, but only in iWork apps AND WIFI OR 3G CONNECTION ARE ON. It is very annoying. I have this fail since I acquired iPad Air despite updates. I have reboot the device and restore it too. Then freeze time reduces but step by step using the device a few hours, the time increase. ONLY DISAPPEAR WHEN WIFI AND 3G CONNECTION ARE OFF. Check it!'

I hope that information helps you and allows support to release an update to solve it.

Best Regards.

Apr 11, 2014 10:37 PM in response to tecaware

Hi Tecaware.

After reading your message, it seems that the issue only stops when both WI-FI and cellular data is turned off. I have tried to do as you said to turn off those and try it. I tried it on a new portrait blank document but it does not fix it. I have also tried it with airplane mode on, still no success.

I understand by it is the magnifying glass animation that is stuffing up the iPad as I can see a tiny unclear round thing staying there frozen in place.

When you meant you sent it to feedback, us this as an email, Apple Support call or left in the reviews section? I just wonder as one option may have a bigger say in Apple than the other.

Apr 12, 2014 11:27 AM in response to Master of iPad

Hi, I sent that message through,

https://ssl.apple.com/support/feedback/

but I have requested help by means of,

http://www.apple.com/support/ios/contact/

I only receive answer by the second service but it has been difficult they proof the issue in the same device, after rebooting, restoring, etc. Then they could reproduce the fix, but I have discovered the relationship with wifi and cellular after my myself.

In order to discard that your problem is similar to mine, could you try out this simple process,

1- turn off both wifi and cellular connections,

2- terminate all app within task switcher,

3- then hard reboot iPad (you know, hold home and wake buttons during at least 10 seconds till appears the apple, don't loose them before)

4- don't turn on neither wifi not cellular and open a new document in Pages, then write a sentence and select any word in the middle, proof the speed between you loose the selection and, magnifier decrease and appears contextual menu.

Please tell me,

Best Regards

Apr 12, 2014 11:54 AM in response to tecaware

Hello again, I have made a mistake in previous message, I'd want said that Apple support 'couldn't reproduce the failure' instead 'could reproduce the fix'... Almost nothing! But I don't know if they turned on wifi and cellular connections. I think they didn't because we didn't talk anything about it, I didn't know it yet and, unfortunately, neither they...

Other thing, if the previous process 'fix' your problem, please try turn on/off wifi and cellular connections to verify if that is certainly the cause.

Best Regards

Pages for iOS freezes when selecting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.