Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager says external company

for some reason our vpp program email sent from profile manager on osx mavericks says external company. it used to say our company name but all of the sudden changed. i tried reloading the token from apple but it still says external company. any ideas?‹

Xserve, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2014 10:46 AM

We contacted apple regarding this same issue. It turns out our VPP account information (through the store) shows "External Company" as the business name - which causes the messages sent from the attached profile manager to be sent with this same information. They believe it was caused by an "Account Udate" that had taken place. When asked if it could be fixed - we were told by Apple that this was just "a cosmetic issue".... basically they aren't going to fix it.

I understand the frustration as we have already had folks delete these messages thinking they were SPAM.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2014 10:46 AM in response to Rockwall ISD

We contacted apple regarding this same issue. It turns out our VPP account information (through the store) shows "External Company" as the business name - which causes the messages sent from the attached profile manager to be sent with this same information. They believe it was caused by an "Account Udate" that had taken place. When asked if it could be fixed - we were told by Apple that this was just "a cosmetic issue".... basically they aren't going to fix it.

I understand the frustration as we have already had folks delete these messages thinking they were SPAM.

May 29, 2014 12:35 PM in response to wph12

We saw the same issue. I contacted Apple Support, sent them screen shots of every step (generation of Profile, resulting emails, etc).

They never got back to me after that, so I guess it's just a cosmetic issue?

We try hard to get our users to ignore/report phishing attempts. Something from "External Company" is going to sit off a lot of alarms!

Mar 9, 2015 12:26 AM in response to Rockwall ISD

Just a FYI on an old thread.

After 3 months of hassling Apple to fix it, engineering managed to issue a replacement token that actually has our institutions details on it for emails.

My suggestion is to keep hassling them, they will fix it eventually.

I found that in our VPP account summary it still says "External Company" but all the emails now say our institution name!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Profile Manager says external company

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.