Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook ProS not finding router

Recently BOTH my MacBook Pros (2010) have consistently failed to find my wireless router. This is a new problem and applies to both laptops - but not necessarily at the same time

Other networks appear on the list - but my network does not appear, repeatedly, then suddenly it does appear and all is OK.

Our iPhones never have this problem. Nor does my 'smart' TV.

So it seems that it is not a router problem.

Once logged on neither laptop drops the connection; but if I close the laptops and reopen them it is a matter of chance if it "sees" my router.

Has some recent "upgrade" caused this problem please? And more important is there a cure?

MacBook Pro 15, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 7:29 AM

4 replies

Apr 13, 2014 9:26 AM in response to Adrian G.

Hi Adrian

BobRz suggested in another thread that I should change the channel that my router is using. It was possble that someone else's more powerful router on the same channel was drowning mine - even though my laptop was only 2 metres from the router.

I did that and, so far, it has worked. I have loged in and out three times on both machines and they "found" my network instantly.

He also suggested a systems preference method as well. I have pasted that bit of his advice below.

Good luck

Bill

I think it's a possibility, and it's very easy to try. Obviously, do it when you're comfortable. Wifi problems are a bear to troubleshoot sometimes. I also have a mid-2010 and in my case it turned out to be an internal cable that had failed. That seems unlikely on two machines at the same time though. The point is it took quite awhile to figure that out. The other thing you can try is to go to System Preferences / Network. Choose your wifi network, then click Advanced and the wifi tab. Drag your network to the top of the list and use the - key to get rid of any unneeded networks you may have in there. Sometimes the list gets long over time and that screws things up as well.

MacBook ProS not finding router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.