Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

play music in landscape

Hello

Since IOS 7, using the musicplayer has lost half of it's functionality: As soon as I switch the phone into landscape-mode, the screen gets filled with a collection of records (don't even know if it's alphabetically sorted, or just an accidental selection of things that are on the phone. There's no relation to what track, or which playlist is being played, so I don't know what to do with this except that I lock it out by locking the screen (disallow it to pivot to landscape).

Sad but true, or is there something I could do about?

Thanks!

david

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 7:48 AM

8 replies

Apr 7, 2014 8:06 AM in response to david braun

That is referred to as the Album Wall (http://help.apple.com/iphone/7/#/iph3cf205bc). The albums are basically in the same order as your list view, but starting from the upper left and going down, then over to the next column. Swipe back and forth to navigate when in the view; tap a cover to expose a list of the tracks when in the view; and tap the album cover of the track playing to return to Album Wall.

Oct 21, 2014 12:53 AM in response to ckuan

Thanks -- this is certainly helpful.

But I'd really like to request that there be an easy way to access the full Music app functionality (and frankly any media-related app functionalitty) in landscape mode on iOs. I think most people would intuitively expect this to be possible easily, but clearly it isn't.

On a few recent roadtrips I tried to mount the phone on my dash horizontally as both a GPS and music player, which it actually did pretty well -- until I wanted to switch playlists. Then I'd have to switch back to portrait mode by taking the phone off the mounting, switching the playlist, and plopping it back. Really awkward, cumbersome, and pretty pointless. It's the difference between a few quick taps at a stoplight and having to pull over and fumble with the phone for a minute or two. Mounting it vertically is an option, I guess, but I prefer handling GPS stuff horizontally, and the new cable setup with all the cables out of the bottom seems to not work well with my mount.

Generally love Apple stuff, but it really feels like this Cover Flow/Album Flow/whatever has been foisted upon us a lot. I have to wonder how useful it really is -- I turn it off almost immediately, and I recall a lot of complaints when an iTunes update put it front and center. Nice to have, but please let us switch to a nice, boring, sorted list if we need to (which I think is most of the time).

play music in landscape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.