Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad and my wife's both get a notice lately saying cannot find server when on the web. We bought a new router. Still the same. Doesn't happen all the time. What is going on? I have looked at forums but nothing has helped.

Recently both my wife's and my Ipads starting saying can not find server. She has an Ipad 3 and I have an Ipad 2. I of course looked up on forums for an answer but nothing worked. So we bought a new router. My speed is great according to speedtest...over 20 mbps but I am still getting the same notice at times...not all the time...that safari.etc cannot find server. Banging my head on the wall as I convinced the wife to spend money on a new router and still same problem. Although..when it does work my speed went from about 4-9 gbps download to almost 26. So I know not router.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1, Router is 1 day old and still same

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 7:47 AM

4 replies

Apr 9, 2014 9:43 AM in response to CEVYNBARRY

I see the referenced article is outdated, and was aimed at Mac users, not necessarily IOS. The cures may still work.

That error message generally is one a a set of potential issues: (I am betting the last one)

1. The particular server you are trying to reach is simply down. That happens from time to time - AOL and YAHOO with some regularity. Wait a while and try again.

2. DNS problems. try the trick in the article to see if that is the problem. This has never happened to me, but we see cases from time to time.

3. Your router and your pads have not fully made peace with each other - usually a security issue. reboot the router and the pads and see if it sorts itself out. It might help for both pads - at the settings, wifi screen - "forget this network", then nre find it and enter your security password again.

Apr 24, 2014 8:18 AM in response to CEVYNBARRY

I've seen this issue twice in the last 24 hours. It's not a dns issue, for my router, as connecting directly to Apple's site failed (via http://17.149.160.49) - e.g., no DNS resolution required. I rebooted the iPad the first time this happened, and all worked fine until this morning. This morning when the problem occured again, turning wifi off and back on resolved the issue. Possibly this might work for others - Control Center makes it a quick test.

My ipad and my wife's both get a notice lately saying cannot find server when on the web. We bought a new router. Still the same. Doesn't happen all the time. What is going on? I have looked at forums but nothing has helped.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.