Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text-selection mechanism all screwed up in KeyNote 6.2

Trying to select text with shift + arrowkeys, or shift + alt + arrowkeys, is all screwed up in KeyNote 6.2 (OS X). The text selection often jumps forward in an erratic manner (much too far ahead than usual, often skips entire words).

😕

Trying to de-select text using the arrowkeys, also produces unexpected results. Sometimes the cursor even automagically skips ahead one character position.

😮

Personally, this bugs the @@@@ out of me when trying to type text. And often I even loose important parts of my texts entirely.

😟

iOS 7.0.3, Mavericks on Mac

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 9:05 AM

4 replies

Apr 7, 2014 9:42 AM in response to Rulbo

Try this Keynote repair, ensure you complete all the tasks and in the order shown:

1 delete all the iWork applications if you have them, not just Keynote, using Appcleanerfrom Mac Update, its a freeware application

2 restart the Mac; Apple menu > restart

3 immediately after the start chime, press the shift key until you see the Apple symbol.

let it fully boot up, it will take longer as the OS is repairing the drive

4 when fully booted, go to Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility; click on the boot drive then First Aid tab and click repair disc permissions

5 when complete, restart the Mac normally

6 install Keynote from the Mac App Store

Apr 7, 2014 1:57 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Ok, thanks for your suggestions Gary. BUT although I've followed all of your suggestions (to the point), the problem still remains.

Let me give you a concrete example that you can try yourself.

Open TextEdit and write the following two simple lines of text in a new document:

One

Two

Now place the cursor at the beginning of the second line (just before the "T"). Hit shift + alt + rightarrowkey. Then hit shift + leftarrowkey. What do you have selected? I have the letters "T" and "w" – like it should be.

Now do the exact same thing in KeyNote 6.2 (1861) in any text area. What do you have selected? I have one linebreak character and the letter "T". Interesting, huh?

Typing some longer sentences, and adding the command-key to this text-selection game, will make it real funny …except I'm not laughing so much anymore. Bug? Feature from some newly hired post-Windows programmer?

😐

Text-selection mechanism all screwed up in KeyNote 6.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.