Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 keeps saying that "this cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this phone." It's extremely frustrating b/c it drains your batter constantly saying this, I buy all accessories through AT

All cables came with the phone or were purchased from AT&T.

The software has been updated.

It's not even plugged in when it does this.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 12:56 PM

1 reply

Apr 9, 2014 6:29 AM in response to NicholeMahle

Hello NicholeMahle,

Thank you for the details of the issue you are experiencing with your iPhone 5. It sounds like you are seeing the message, “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone,” when nothing is connected to the iPhone. This could be caused by debris in the dock connector:

Some third-party cables and accessories that aren't Apple certified, or are FireWire equipped, may not charge your device properly. If you see either of the alerts below, the device may not charge. Try another cable or accessory.

• "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone."
  • "This accessory is not supported by this device."

If either of these alerts appear and nothing is connected to the dock connector, make sure that the dock connector is free of debris.

If there are bent pins or debris, please contact Apple Support.

Find the full article here:

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1476

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Sheila M.

My iPhone 5 keeps saying that "this cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this phone." It's extremely frustrating b/c it drains your batter constantly saying this, I buy all accessories through AT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.