Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leopard

I have a iBookG4. How can I tell if I meet the requirements to upgrade to Leopard. This is my first MAC, and I just hope that I can upgrade and that I didn't fail to get something I now need to upgrade.

iBook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.4) 30yrs on Windows: New to Apple--Happy, but CLUELESS.

Posted on Aug 19, 2006 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2006 6:48 PM

Hi Lizz,

The final specs haven't been posted yet. Your iBook will run Leopard but it can't take advantage of all of its features such as Core Animation which is written for Intel Core Duo processors. I'm sure there are other video features that the iBook can't use due to the limits of the video card and processor..

John
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2006 6:48 PM in response to Lizz

Hi Lizz,

The final specs haven't been posted yet. Your iBook will run Leopard but it can't take advantage of all of its features such as Core Animation which is written for Intel Core Duo processors. I'm sure there are other video features that the iBook can't use due to the limits of the video card and processor..

John

Aug 19, 2006 6:54 PM in response to John Huber1

Thank you,.
It's for sale you know.
I'm worried about Firewire.
I have no idea what it is and whether I have it.
It's one of the requirements.
I have a vague memory of someone asking me if I wanted it or saying it was included???? Can't recall.
How can I find out if I have it.
Really, really clueless.

Aug 19, 2006 8:54 PM in response to Lizz

It's for sale you know.

No, it's not for sale yet. Tiger is still the latest system for sale. Leopard is a "Sneak Preview".

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

I'm worried about Firewire.

You have Firewire on your iBook. It's the port next to the ethernet port on the side. It's a high speed interface used mainly for external hard drives and downloading video from cameras.

John

Aug 20, 2006 3:36 AM in response to John Huber1

Whew.
Thanks.
If I understand what I read on the Apple site, I have all of the requirements for Leopard. I know one day, things may move ahead so far that I will have to buy a new computer, but I love my little iBook and hope to use it for a long, long time. I purchased an ipod mini a few days before it became extinct. So I've that feeling of being out-of-date early. I'm not familiar with Apple's policies, so I didn't know if they would release a new OS that would force people to buy new machines. My iBook came with Tiger, but I have talked to other Mac owners who have not upgraded to Tiger because their beloved machines can't handle it or they are concerned about upgrade problems they hear from others.
Here is the website where I found the Leopard for sale. Maybe it's advance orders. http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/
Thank you again.
Lizz

Aug 20, 2006 7:57 AM in response to John Huber1

I had to write again because I saw that I put the comma in the wrong place in the above post, which you also probably knew. 🙂
Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw once that read, "Does anal retentive have a hyphen?"

Thanks again. I'm ready to give Apple more money as soon as Leopard is available.

Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.