Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show hidden files in Finder

I've been ripping my music CDs into mp3 files using iTunes.

I recently bought an HDTV. It shows the hidden files on the flash drive as well as the visible files. When I try to play one of the hidden mp3 files, the TV tells me that the file isn't supported. Yet if I scroll to the right, the TV shows the visible mp3 files. I had to use Windows XP to show the hidden mp3 files on the flash drive so that I could delete them. After I did that, the TV displayed the visible mp3 files & played them. Today, I tried to search for hidden mp3 files on the flash drive using Finder. When I use the Terminal to show the hidden files, hidden folders are shown, but none of the hidden mp3 files are shown. Yet the hidden mp3 files are shown in Windows XP. The hidden mp3 file starts with ".01_" followed by the file name & ending with the mp3 extension. Each track starts with a different number. In other words, .01_, .02_, .03_, etc. I don't understand why I can see the hidden mp3 files in Windows XP, but not in Finder. The command "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" apparently doesn't show ALL of the files. Is it possible to change the Finder so that ALL hidden files are displayed just as I can do in Windows XP? I shouldn't have to go to my PC so that I can see the hidden files & delete them & then go back to my Mac. (Windows XP is the only PC OS that I have. I don't have Vista or 7 or 8.) Or maybe there's a Terminal command that will just rip visible mp3 files in iTunes & not both visible & hidden files. Or maybe there's software that I can install that will do that. If there's no solution, then I will have to use Windows XP to show all of the hidden mp3 files so that I can delete them all at once. I sure would rather use my Mac for everything instead of going back & forth from Mac to PC.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 2:54 PM

34 replies

Apr 9, 2014 7:09 AM in response to macnerd48

No need to spend any money to see invisible files and folders.

To view all files on your Mac, open the Terminal and enter the following two lines, pressing Enter after each one.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

When you're done, type in the same two lines, except change TRUE to FALSE to return file viewing to normal.

You note that you've done this, but say the OS doesn't show files that start with a period. It should. I see two such files on my desktop.

User uploaded file

Apr 9, 2014 7:23 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I've seen 2 different Terminal commands:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

&

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles Yes

I suppose that it doesn't make any difference whether I enter TRUE or YES, does it? And likewise, FALSE or NO?

I've also been told to hold down the "option" key & right-click on the Finder icon & click "relaunch". I suppose that it doesn't make any difference whether I relaunch or kill the finder, does it? If I kill the Finder, I reopen it to view the hidden files, right?

I did see ".DS_Store" on the Desktop, but I didn't see any of the hidden mp3 files on the flash drive. I'll give it another try, but at the time that I tried it, I thought it odd that Windows XP would show the hidden mp3 files but that Mavericks wouldn't. So, I'll give it another try.

Apr 9, 2014 8:06 AM in response to macnerd48

Perhaps I should have noted that DesktopUtility is free. I wouldn't spend money for that functionality, either. 😉

Me either. Didn't notice that one was free. Everything seemed to have a cost on the various apps.

I suppose that it doesn't make any difference whether I enter TRUE or YES, does it? And likewise, FALSE or NO?

Correct. True, Yes, and 1 all do the same thing.

For the opposite, False, No and 0 are the same.

I've also been told to hold down the "option" key & right-click on the Finder icon & click "relaunch". I suppose that it doesn't make any difference whether I relaunch or kill the finder, does it? If I kill the Finder, I reopen it to view the hidden files, right?

Also correct. Doesn't matter which way you do it. The Finder automatically relaunches itself whether you kill it in Terminal, or relaunch it from the Dock (which is really the same as kill then relaunch).

I did see ".DS_Store" on the Desktop, but I didn't see any of the hidden mp3 files on the flash drive.

Now that is weird. You should see all hidden files and folders on all drives. Unless the Flash drive is formatted for Windows (exFAT, FAT16 or FAT32) and OS X doesn't treat it the same way.

TinkerTool and Secrets are two more free utilities that offer easy ways to toggle hidden file viewing.

Yup, there's lots of free utilities to do the same thing. OnyX will also toggle hidden items on and off.

Apr 9, 2014 9:23 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Now that is weird. You should see all hidden files and folders on all drives. Unless the Flash drive is formatted for Windows (exFAT, FAT16 or FAT32) and OS X doesn't treat it the same way.

AHA! The flash drive is formatted as FAT32. So, I suppose that I have to use Windows XP to view the hidden mp3 files, right? What format do I use that shows hidden files in BOTH Mac & PC?

The flash drive plays in my car & on my HDTV.

Apr 10, 2014 1:26 PM in response to Tony T1

Please explain what this will do to my flash drive.

I have a new but related question.

I can plug the flash drive into my HDTV & my car stereo. It will show the name of the CD &, if it is a classical music CD, the work, the opus number, the conductor & the orchestra. Can I edit that information? Isn't the plist a text file? Is that where the CD information is stored? In what file is the CD information stored?

Apr 10, 2014 1:37 PM in response to macnerd48

NAME

dot_clean -- Merge ._* files with corresponding native files.

I don't think you want to do this. When you copy Mac files to a FAT formatted drive, it creates two files. For example:

foo.tif

._foo.tif

The second file is the Mac's resource fork, which has to be saved as a separate file since any DOS/Windows formatted drive has only one data fork. When you copy the file back to your Mac, OS X automatically combines the two again into an HFS+ file format. You don't see those from your Mac because they start with a period, but you will see them on a Windows computer.

This isn't the case with your files. They are not named like that, and if you run that Terminal command, it may destroy your audio tracks.

Apr 10, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Kurt Lang

AHA!! That's exactly what I've seen when I display the hidden files in Windows XP!!

The flash drive is formatted as FAT32.

The hidden mp3 files will display as ".01_Track Name.mp3", ".02_Track Name.mp3", etc. I deleted the ._ files yet I can still play them on my mini. I just tried. I double-clicked on a .mp3 file on the flash drive & iTunes played it. Needless to say, I'm confused! I haven't tried playing the files on my XP PC yet, but they will play on my HDTV & in my car stereo. Does iTunes recreate the ._ file when I play it in iTunes if it has been deleted?

I know that OS X will read FAT32, and apparently it does write to a FAT32 drive. Will OS X read & write to a NTFS formatted drive? Is there a universal disk format that can be BOTH read from AND written to by both Mac & Windows? I don't want to keep going back & forth between Mac & Windows to delete the ._ files.

My current 16 GB flash drive isn't big enough to store all of the mp3 files from my 200+ CD collection. So, I'll have to move them to a bigger flash drive. Is there such a thing as a Mac/Windows compatible flash drive?

What is a resource fork?

Show hidden files in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.