Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get sync'd multi cam Clip.

I'm shooting with 2 cameras, both with audio. I highlight the clips, right -click and select new multicam clip and use audio waveform to sync. Instead of getting 1 synced multicam clip with both (camer) angles (clips) showing in the viewer, I get a multiclam clip with the 2 (camera) clips (angles) in sequence: one after the other, Ive also tried syncing with markers as the starting point, but the same thing happens.

The workaround is to make synchronized clip, open it in the timeline, and carfully hack out one camera to reveal the other. Ouch.

Anybody?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 4:30 PM

9 replies

Apr 7, 2014 6:52 PM in response to Russ H

1 clip per camera, each of the same event (in this case a speaker presentation). Its easy to confuse FCPX angles and clips with real-world happennings, but yes: All the clips (1each) are assigned the same camera angles (2) and name. So: I've imported camera1 clip1 angle1 and wish to sync/multicam with imported camera2 clip2 angle2. Is that clearer? Thanks so much...

Apr 8, 2014 10:47 AM in response to MajorTomH

I've generally had great results syncing clips automatically – even when there are many gaps between clips in video and audio angles. Nearly always if I got a weird result it was because I had overlooked giving a clip a unique angle or camera identifier (somthing that's easy to do if you have many short, discrete clips).

A few times – even with proper IDs – I've run into a stubborn clip or two. Once, a camera's time and day info was way off. That was solved within FCP using Adjust Content Created Date & Time. A few times I couldn't get the correct auto sync until I inserted markers and chose First Marker on The Angle in the multiclip dialog. (I gather you've tried all that?) And there was one time when nothing worked and I ended up transcoding the original media to Pro Res; that worked.

I've never had to resort to manual sync – something that I can't say about FCP 7 and earlier.

So check the clips' time and date to verify that they are reasonably close; try changing around some of the settings in the dialog and changing the positions of your markers; try transcoding.

Good luck.

Russ

Apr 8, 2014 11:34 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

I've generally had great results syncing clips automatically – even when there are many gaps between clips in video and audio angles.

same here - and I have no music for synching, just the crowd-noises at soccer-games ... 😁

(I'm using Multicam to synch 4-7 cameras on a match - real fun in editing, like a 'live director')

_______

Two things:

in my case: I set manually a Marker in each cam-angle when the ref whistles the game on. This hasn't to be with frame-precision, it just gives FCPX a lil' 'push' ...

(Re)Naming multicams, excellent tutorial (with some clever tricks!) here:

http://wemakemovies.org/2012/10/fcpx-batch-renaming-advanced-multicam-sync/

Apr 10, 2014 11:18 AM in response to MajorTomH

Had you successfully used the multiclip automatic sync function with any earlier version of FCP X?

Could you post a screen shot of the 2 clips in the browser that shows the markers you inserted?

Also, I'm having a hard time visualizing what you describe about the appearance of your timeline. so if you could post a screen shot of that as well, that would be great.

What kind of media are you working with and what model cameras shot the interviews? Did you optimize your media?

Russ

Apr 10, 2014 6:15 PM in response to MajorTomH

I am having a similar issue. My system and FCP are latest updates.

I have a set of clips shot with one tripod camera for the full length, and what looks like one or two other "roving" cameras getting closeups and other angles, but start and top points (not runnign the entire interview). Effectively these are B roll with matching audio.

If I run Sync Clips, it makes a huge mess piling them all one atop another. The audio souds like a party, not a conversation with two people.

When I make a Multicam clip, FCP does a "pretty good job" but some short clips are WAY out of sync...

User uploaded file

Then it becomes a puzzle to find where they go.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for monitoring the video of the track on which I have just clicked the clip it's on? the one Multiclip when I am done?

Also, ••• How do I close the Timeline back down to

Apr 10, 2014 6:42 PM in response to Russ H

Russ and Karsten: Thanks so much for your input. I linked to 'we make movies' which gave me the idea of fiddling around with the metadata on my 2 clips and stumbling upon settings that worked. I (think) I gave the two angles name-underscore-letter-number designations (cam_a1 -- cam_b1) and equivalent (1 and 1) scene numbers then highlighted both camera/angles while still in list view and miracle of miracles the sync window came up and gave me my 2 angles. So it was the metadata that was errant--probably my import settings and naming structure. I had trouble with the timeline til I created a new project which allowed me to drag and drop my multiclip. Peace.

NOW Im back to a previous problem: FCPX is so choppy and hesitant the I can barely edit. I remember some weeks back when the were numerous complaints about this. Know if there was any consensus on what to do?

I'm running and iMac 3.1GHz i5, 24GB RAM with about 500GB free on my hard drive. Also Ive turned OFF my external drive and other outboard peripherals. Thanks again.

Apr 10, 2014 8:37 PM in response to MajorTomH

Glad it's fixed and you posted back with the solution; it's helpful for searches by those who find themselves in similar straits.

To your question about playback: Check in the Viewer Display options (upper right disclosure triangle) to see that Better Performance is chosen for Playback Quality.

Multicam projects really need fast media drives; check yours with a speed test from AJA or Black Magic.

Ensure that you have a minimum of 15-20% free space on your boot drive and at least 10% on the media drive.

Begin the edit session with a fresh system boot and run as few competing processes as possible.

Edit with Optimized or Proxy. If you choose Proxy, remember to reset to Original/Optimized before exporting. Also, Better Performance won't be available with Proxy.

Russ

I can't get sync'd multi cam Clip.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.