Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacement iPhone created 'new' backup; can see but not access my 'real' backup

In anticipation of a new iPhone 4S I made a backup in iTunes this morning - call it the 8:41AM backup.

Sure enough this evening I got a new iPhone and plugged it into my computer and tried to do a restore.

iTunes said I needed a more recent iOS version, so I clicked "OK."

You veterans know the next thing it did was backup my new, useless iPhone - with the same phone name as my old phone of course. So the backup I had was 5:31PM - plain out of the box (i.e., useless) backup of my phone). I thought I lost this morning's backup. Nearing a heart attack I came and found out how to see the backup I really need.

I just can't get to it.

Under Edit/Preferences/Devices, I can see the 8:41AM backup listed, with the phone name (that's the same for my old phone and the new one).

I deleted the 5:31PM (useless) backup, hoping it would "promote" the backup from this morning, but that's not how it works.

Now when I click on "Restore Backup . . ." all I'm presented with are really old backups (January, when I first replaced my iPhone) with the same phone name.

So - how can I access this morning's backup and get it on my new phone?

Thanks for any and all help!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 4:29 PM

Is your new phone running iOS 7.1? If not, update it, then: Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. You should now be able to use the backup you want.

2 replies

Replacement iPhone created 'new' backup; can see but not access my 'real' backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.