Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does Finder keep crashing every 2 seconds?

every two seconds a "finder quit unexpectadly" window keeps popping up, i can't open finder. on the top menu bar finder is there but i can't click on anything but the apple logo. i've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a solution. i've gone into safe mode and the same problem occurs i've tried recovery mode and repairing the disk and the the same thing. I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.5

iMac, iOS 7.0.5

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 4:34 PM

1 reply

Apr 9, 2014 8:43 AM in response to st4rduzt

Hey there st4rduzt,

It sounds like your Finder application is constantly quitting unexpectedly. I recommend starting by verifying and if need be, repairing your starup disk:

Disk Utility 12.x: Repair a disk

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5836

1. Print this help page so you can refer to it later. (You don’t have access to Disk Utility Help when you restart up your computer in the next step.)In the Disk Utility Help window, choose Print from the Action pop-up menu (looks like a gear).
  2. Choose Apple menu > Restart. Hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys as your computer restarts.When you see a white screen with an Apple logo in the middle, you can release the keys.
  3. Click Disk Utility, and then click Continue.
  4. In the list at the left, select the item you want to repair. (Be sure to select an item that’s indented to the right in the list, not an item at the far left.)
  5. Click First Aid.
  6. If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back it up and replace it. You can’t repair it.
  7. Click Repair Disk.If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK or has been repaired, you’re done. Otherwise, you may need to do one of the following steps.
  8. If Disk Utility reports “overlapped extent allocation” errors, two or more files occupy the same space on your disk, and at least one of them is likely to be corrupted. Check each file in the list of affected files. If you can replace a file or recreate it, delete it. If it contains information you need, open it and examine its data to make sure it hasn’t been corrupted. (Most of the files in the list have aliases in a DamagedFiles folder at the top level of your disk.)
  9. If Disk Utility can’t repair your disk or it reports “The underlying task reported failure,” try to repair the disk or partition again. If that doesn’t work, back up as much of your data as possible, reformat the disk, reinstall Mac OS X, and then restore your backed-up data.If you continue to have problems with your disk, it may be physically damaged and need to be replaced.

If the issue persists after you have done the Disk Repair, I would next see if the issue occurs in Safe Mode.

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

If it does not, I would next look at log in items to see if something is interfering with the OS:

OS X Lion: The Login Items pane of Users & Groups preferences

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4602

If it does, then restart the computer as normal, and test the issue again.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

why does Finder keep crashing every 2 seconds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.