Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open password protected excel file on iPhone- error 44820

I need to access a daily email which has a password protected excel file attached. I am unable to open on my iPad or iPhone. I don't have the option of sending it unprotected. I get the message " the operation could not be completed (quickLookErrorDomain error 44820)." Is there a work around for this?

Thanks

John

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 8:10 PM

7 replies

Feb 15, 2017 3:15 AM in response to Courcoul

You need to have a Office365 subscription and the Office 2016 apps installed on your mobile device. I use the mobile versions of excel or word to open password protected files. I store commonly used files locally on my mobile device or keep the information in my head. Microsoft files can be copied to a phone through iTunes for this purpose. . If my phone was ever stolen I can remotely destroy the contents on my phone from another computer

. I keep running backups that are not cloud based of sensitive files and I do not leave computers on 24/7. A pic left on is easier to hack than off. Hopefully you are not keeping files with sensitive Information on the cloud because if that data was ever hacked or compromised that could be a bad thing for you.

Jul 31, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Aquas27

Documents to Go Premium Office Suite by Dataviz will open and allow you to edit/save a password protected excel spreadsheet. I have been using with with dropbox for a long time. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with OneDrive for Business.

For some reason, it doesn't get very good reviews, but it has worked fine for me.

Excel for the iPad is a better option.

Jul 31, 2014 1:56 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

If you use this app (which requires an Office 365 subscription, as noted in the app's description), my guess is you can then open the spreadsheet.

You only need the Office365 subscription to create or modify files. Works as a reader without. May want to download (free) and test to see if it will allow access to the password-protected file, even if in read/only mode.

Aug 1, 2014 7:02 AM in response to Courcoul

I can confirm that unactivated Excel for iOS can display in R/O mode protected files created by PC/Mac-based Excel, which require password to open. If the workbook is further protected by a modify password, doesn't matter since the file is in R/O mode. You will get prompted to type the master password after selecting the file. This with both the latest v1.1 (released yesterday) as well as the previous version. iPad 4/64GB, running iOS 7.1.2.

Open password protected excel file on iPhone- error 44820

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.