Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I 'serial' a new airport TC to an existing D-Link router? How?-Which cables go where?(ethernet to LAN port on D-link?). Help

Can I serial a 3 tb Airport time capsule to an existing D-Link router creating a new 'apple' wi-fi while retaining the 'PC' wi-fi? & how - ethernet cable from AP/TC to LAN on D-Link?

Help please.

Thank you,

Renee

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 8:53 PM

3 replies

Apr 7, 2014 11:43 PM in response to Renee_67

Yes, you can plug the TC .. Wan into the Dlink router.. Lan.

Then set the TC into bridge mode.

That is router bridge. NOT wireless bridge.. the terms are confusing if you just say bridge.

User uploaded file

On the wireless tab, create a wireless network with whatever name you want.. I do recommend short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

It is also wise to separate the two units as much as you can.. say 1M min.. but any where that is suitable as long as you link them by ethernet.

Apr 11, 2014 9:52 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi La Pastenague, I recently got a new iMac and an 2TB Airport TC to go with it. I have an existing Windows PC connected to a D-Link wireless router and trying to work out how best to integrate the new Apple-ware into this existing network.

The question from Renee_67 looks interesting re separate apple and PC wi-fi networks, but not clear on what the value of this kind of set-up would be.

So I've got an old PC that is still in use (Windows) and a new iMac along with some household smartphones/tablets (Samsung and Apple), and not sure whether to ditch the D-Link router in favour of the new TC or use them both...

Any suggestions to best maximise the best features of the gadgetry I now have?

Thanks plenty!

Apr 12, 2014 12:59 AM in response to Jemannkat

interesting re separate apple and PC wi-fi networks, but not clear on what the value of this kind of set-up would be.

Both routers can provide simultaneous wireless networks.. so it will handle an old PC and new Mac or Apple idevices without issues.. sometimes windows wireless can crash the TC.. sometimes it just won't connect at all.

For the situation where both work perfectly well.. it is still faster having two AP since wireless is half duplex and unable to talk to more than one client at a time.

The other advantage from the OP point of view is least messing of a working network. To some people messing with network is a cause of fear and panic.

So I've got an old PC that is still in use (Windows) and a new iMac along with some household smartphones/tablets (Samsung and Apple), and not sure whether to ditch the D-Link router in favour of the new TC or use them both...

Do a test.. see if the PC links easily and with good speed to the TC .. if it does remove the dlink and substitute the TC and see if it work well.. if it does just leave it as is.. if not you might consider putting the dlink in AP mode (or wan bypass if it has no inbuilt AP mode), to use for the PC.

Can I 'serial' a new airport TC to an existing D-Link router? How?-Which cables go where?(ethernet to LAN port on D-link?). Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.