Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPhone turn itself off

Hello,

My iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1 started turning itself off today. It will, with no warning, just shut right off, no matter whether it is plugged into the computer, or just sitting still on a desk, untouched and not running any apps.

I placed the phone into DFU mode, connected it to iTunes, and reset the phone to factory settings (this took about 15 minutes, during which time the phone remained on). However, it repeatedly shut itself off when trying to restore from a backup. I was eventually able to recover settings from iCloud, but very few of the apps have re-downloaded, as the phone is still shutting itself off again and again.

All day, the longest it has remained on without crashing has probably been less than an hour. The battery (which was new in January) has never been below 50%.

Sometimes I can turn it right back on; sometimes the power button is unresponsive until I connect it to a power source, at which point it starts right up, only to crash again minutes later.

Thanks for any leads,

Rob

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 7:41 PM

1 reply

Apr 10, 2014 11:13 AM in response to Robert Strong4

Hello Robert Strong4,

It sounds like your phone is turning off unexpectedly on you even after putting the device into recovery mode and restoring with iTunes. What I would recommend next is attempting to reset the phone with this process:

To reset, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

From: Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

If that does not make the phone stop powering off unexpectedly I would next seek service for the phone:

iPhone Repair - Other

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Why does my iPhone turn itself off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.