Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images imported from a digital camera were viewable and editable at first but later disappeared! They cannot be re-imported from either the camera or the iCloud as iPhoto indicates that they already exist, but cannot locate them. Please help!

On holiday I have been uploading my photos to iphoto on my macbook pro every few days, the latest batch appeared and I was able to edit them, flag, merge events etc. However, later that day when I went back to the images they could not be found in my library. They had been removed from 'latest import', however were viewable on the icloud photo stream. I have attempted to re-import the images from both the digital camera and my photostream but iphoto indicates that the images had already been imported and would not import them again. I was able to locate the master images using finder, but Iphoto tells me that these files are unreadable (they are .jpg) when I try to re-add them this way. I have also tried to 'unhide' all images in case I had accidentally hidden them but this didn't work either.

Any other suggestions?

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 8:24 PM

1 reply

Apr 7, 2014 8:44 PM in response to Francesca110

a best practice to is to never have any computer program (including iPhoto) delete the photos from the card but to import the photos and keep them and then after at least one successful backup cycle has completed and then reformat the card -- I use three very large (32 GB) cards in rotation so I do not reformat for typically a year or more giving me one more long term backup of my photos

Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your iPhoto library database

LN

Images imported from a digital camera were viewable and editable at first but later disappeared! They cannot be re-imported from either the camera or the iCloud as iPhoto indicates that they already exist, but cannot locate them. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.