Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mobile home syncing issues

Here is the senerio.

Have an office with 10 macs. Most all running 10.9.2. All are configured on a server running 10.8. there are a couple macbooks in the office configured with a mobile home. I'm working on replacing one of the laptops and im hitting snags in the setup. Sever is just providing a mobile home for all the users and provides some basic file sharing.

First off.

new macbook pro has been wiped and setup fresh with 10.9.2

Created local admin account on the macbook and joined the network account server (local in the office)

on the server side selected "create mobile home" for the user who will be using this laptop

when loging in using his user id. It all logs in and attemps to create the mobile home but it doesnt sync any of his home folder over.

im able to navigate to the server through finder and see everything in the mobile home.

it goes through the syncing process but doesnt sync anything.

ive checked on the server and see that all of his home folder is on on the server in his mobile home folder

tried just about everything but dont know what im missing in this setup.

His older macbook is still currently connected and when logging in it syncs his home folder without issue. he is running 10.6 on that machine.

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

Posted on Apr 7, 2014 8:24 PM

6 replies

Apr 7, 2014 10:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

the mobile homes are shared on a dedicated volume on the server called "mobileshare"

from the new macbook pro, logged in with the users credentials i can manualy connect to the mobile share to see the home content on the server. However the home syncing process starts and stops shortly after showing "complete".

I would imagine that in therory when loging in for the first time in this users account the server should push the home folder back down to the client durring the syncing process?

I'm almost wondering if i need to backup the users home folder on the server, delete the user and re create from scratch and manualy migrate the info back over?

Apr 15, 2014 7:29 AM in response to Linc Davis

Sorry for the delay in reply.

After revisiting this issue i tried the following based off your suggestions:

Deleted that mobile home from the macbook pro.

On the server reset the permissions to the users mobile home folder

Set server to "create moblie home" - save.

Again, when loging in on the macbook pro with the users credentials.

It goes through the process and creates the user but brings none of the content.

The sync starts and finishes within 3 secconds.

What I ended up doing was creating another user on the server, tried the same steps as above. ALL GOOD.

I then manualy transfered content from the old user mobile home ot the new and everything is syncing perfectly!

I'm wondering if perhaps that users old home folder had horrible file corruption or some sort of permissions issue. Or perhaps that this just wasnt meant to work between 10.7/8 and 10.9

His user folder was syncing fine with his 2005 Macbook Pro (running 10.7)? None the less it all worked out. I'll then ensure the new home folder has all the info and delete the old user.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike

Mobile home syncing issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.